Go To Dept: your favorite pipe and why...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Go To Dept: your favorite pipe and why...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'll start...

I own a group of MM cobs, a Falcon, my Savilnelli Fiamatta (name pipe), a Greek Pipex, a Savinelli system pipe, a Big Ben nosewarmer, a gorgeous swoopy gourd Calabash, a Butz Choquin. Most have been smoked, but not extensively. My latest acquisitions: , a German Vauen White Dot, a Tom Spanu remain virgin.

Still a couple pipes have stood out: any of the cobs, and the Falcon which have received the most use and recently my new/used Butz. The first two have been smoked plenty - and I thought quite well, but then I recently initiated the Butz Choquin.

For some reason this stinger equipped pipe was head and shoulders above, albeit smoking HGL - a Lane blend described as "Toasted Cavendish is laced with Mountain Latakia, then blended with White Burley and Golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller-bodied smoke, yet cool and slow burning.".

Now mind you, I've smoked the HGL before but in the Butz it was magnificent, head and shoulders above to the point that I was astounded. Now perhaps this was just a lucky combination of pipe with the HGL, but the experience was pure pleasure.

To be continued. I'd be very curious as to what pipes are your "go-to's", and why...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

For me it's my ugly pot Meerschaum. It was badly drilled and has caused me many frustrations. I have re bored, filed and scraped the bugger until it became a decent smoker. It is now pretty much the pipe I smoke at home 99% of the time. The Meerschaum as a smoking material is in my opinion superior to briar as it doesn't impart any influence on the tobacco or smoke. It is a vessel for smoking pure and simple. The other smaller advantages are that it can be smoked more than once in a day and there is satisfaction to see the patina forming slowly over time. I am in the process of getting a custom Meerschaum made for me and when that happens I can foresee my briars really gathering dust.

The disadvantage of Meerschaum is that if you drop it it's more than likely going to be broken as the material is brittle like ceramic. So for outside my go to pipe is my corncob or any of my briars that aren't rusticated.

For virginia plugs I use my Design Berlin pipe which has a thick walled straight bored chamber that doesn't hold too much. It is perfect for plugs that can blow you away and overwhelm when smoked in big bowls.

The falcon I use with full flavoured rich tobaccos that don't suffer for a wider bowl but benefit from a smaller volume. It is also a good pipe for a careless hassle free smoke and when I take a break from my Meerschaum.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice review of pipes guy's. I'd chime in but still using the three cobs I bought so no point. da'rum have you thought about getting a Meerschaum bowl for your falcon?It would look good on that black stem.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yes dai I have and intend to.
in goes your eye out