Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Another kinda, sorta review:

Posted at tobaccoreviews, and as described there...

Brand: Missouri Meerschaum
Blended By: Russ Ouellette
Blend Type: English
Contents: Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring: Bourbon
Cut: Mixture

"As a lover of the good old, unpretentious but a classic corn cob pipe, how could I not try this MM Patriot, described as latakia forward, followed in order by a virginian, then oriental, and pullig up the rear some burley. Let it be said my real enjoyment of what I'd like to call a good and classic tobacco, at least singularly is the beautifully burning, nutty and roast burley.

Like so many other smokers I moved up the ladder from the classic aro, 1-Q, to the greatley improved BCA, to RlP-6, thence to HGL and more recently to Sutliffs 504 Aromatic English and finally Sutliffs stunning R-Blend, said to compare quite favorably with the original Einstein's Revelation. Each a bit closer to what some might call a light English or an American English. The last two in particular provide a wonderful balanced complexity and balance in which the components were still discernible, but with no one stealing the show. It is said to have a bit of bourgob topping, but if it's there, it's barely there, but does work to provide

To me the MM Patriot goes one step beyond. Compared to the above, the latakia - formerly a condiment - now comes forward - while the lovely burley lead now follows. While latakia lovers will cheer, burley boys will lament it's repositioning. Now the the latakia lead - and in the manner of an Islay whiskey - now is the lead performer, with all the rest in only mildly supporting roles. Since balance and integration with no one component dominating is my forte, I'm afraid this MM - though appreciated by the latakia lovers, finds far less favor with me. Yes I get it, but no it doesn't work for me or for those of similar like mind. I'm giving it a three reflecting Russ' skill, but would deduct a 1/2 or point for personal balance. BTW, the description indicates a light bourbon topping which is barely perceptible, but does exist. With more time I may learn to appreciate this latakia forward blend, but I rather doubt it. Latakia lovers should ignore me completely though, lol...

For those like me, the R-Blend will ring your bells with more clarity and sustain...

Pipe Used: Cob, Falcon, Tom Spanu Olivasra
Age When Smoked: unknown
Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars, pouch, 1.5
Similar Blends: Sutliff R-Blend but with the burley now following, not leading..