A View of Life Dept: Pipe Smoking

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A View of Life Dept: Pipe Smoking

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Certainly at least a few of us have tried and enjoyed the art of pipe smoking...

And an art it is. Pipes, like spirits, represent a very ancient history and tradition. LIke spirits, the smoking of the pipe represents peace, meditation, contemplations - think of the Peace Pipe - shared by enemies to end a conflict. Yes, the modern anti-tobacco group will tell us what addicted fools we are and how much damage we are unnecessarily doing to ourselved and those around us, but let's be clear: these are NOT cigarettes, are not done as an inescapable habit, and do not contain the myrads of carcinogenic additives that have nothing whatever to do with real, pure and quality tobacoo.

To the contrary, pipe smoking is an art, from its history and tradition, the art of the finished implement that represents great skill and artistry, to a myriad of toabacco blends that portray and produce all manner of different effects and aromatic outcomes. Like fine spirits pipes are.

Along the way we all try the literally unending parade of pipe, styles, makers, artisans and blends and one day we find one particular pipe or blend that just puts us in that special mental and spiritual zone. Whatever others may say, the experience is a way to escape stress and reenter one's soul, to think and meditate, to solve problems, to put us in a receptive mode wherein we can absorb the wisdom of the universe, now free to follow the smoke into our minds, hearts and psyche.

For me there are two such pipes - a bent corncob and my wonderful, loving Greek fisherman's pipe. Lighting up either with a tobacco blend that has likewise become a special vehicle - RLP-6 - and it gives me both respite and answers to the sometimes overwhelming problems of the day.

What is it for you? I - and we - would love to know...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I don't think I've found th exact combination yet. Still looking. On occasion though I do get an exquisite smoke just depends on a combination of things like the way the tobacco was packed the pipe the mood I'm in weather etc. The very same can be repeated and it's mediocre. The holy Grail still alludes me.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition