Hi from Germany!

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
viperguy324
Oscar

Hi from Germany!

Post by viperguy324 »

Hello all,

I was born in Miami Beach and have been living in Germany for the past 10 years. I've been into rum for the last 25 years.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Re: Hi from Germany!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hola amigo!

I've been a Floridian for twenty years - south Florida. Welcome. Perhaps one day we'll share a cigar, a cafe cubano and flan at the Versaille on Calle Ocho. What are your favorite rums?
viperguy324
Oscar

Post by viperguy324 »

Capn Jimbo wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:19 pm Hola amigo!

I've been a Floridian for twenty years - south Florida. Welcome. Perhaps one day we'll share a cigar, a cafe cubano and flan at the Versaille on Calle Ocho. What are your favorite rums?
For sure... I drop into the Pompano Beach area from time to time. I got you covered on cigars ;) (currently ageing some '14 and '16 Connie 'A's)

As for rums... that's tough as they come and go market wise over here. Not sure if I'd call any of them my favorites.

My current "House" sipper is Plantation Barbados extra old 20 XO (Love the Banana finish) or Riise Kong Haakon for something sweet.
WIth Cola, (OeTTinger cola to be exact) Barbancourt 5 star 8yr, Caney Anejo Centuria 7yr or Brugal 1888.

I guess if I had to call any rum my favorite.. it would be the long lost Pyrat Plantation Gold... which is nothing close to what Patron is pushing these days. You could buy that silly looking bottle for $30 and I could drop one big rock into a pint glass, filler up and finish the bottle out by the pool/boat and carry on like nothing for the remainder of the day. Seriously could drink it like juice. I guess that would be my favorite... as deep down, an all day drinker is a good rum for me.

What is best for you? By the sound of it, the opposite of some of the sugar bombs it sounds like I'm drinking. Where are you in Ft. Lauderdale?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Well Viper...

I've not been in Lauderdale for a couple years, traveling the eastern US to find my cruising sailboat, then living in Mexico for awhile, back near Lake Erie. I see you do like a few sugared rums, particularly the Riise which is better described as mixing your sugar with a bit of rum, lol (about 90 grams, more than 20 teaspoons of sugar per bottle)! Check our Master Sugar List:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1683

But I see you also like Barbancourt Five Star - a truly world class pure rum, and the Brugal, another pure and unsugared rum. My two favorite rums are MGXO, the 1703 if I could afford it, and the Barbancourt Five Star. I really have no issue with flavored rum and what are really 80 proof liquers, as long as they are honestly (and legally) labelled as such.

Cuba has an official government cigar store in Mexico City, fortunately near our apartment; otherwise I like an occasional Rocky Patel Habano Edge, or an Oliva Serie G - both Nicaraguans.