Kia ora from Aotearoa/New Zealand

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
JustinNZ
Landlubber

Kia ora from Aotearoa/New Zealand

Post by JustinNZ »

Kia ora (literally, “Be well.”)

I make gold rum from blackstrap molasses, water, baker’s yeast and American Oak. I run a 70L copper pot still that was home-made by someone else - though I’ve done some work on it. Been making rum for two years and, to be honest, am a bit obsessed in a calm way. Funny thing is a I prefer Bourbon - but rum’s easier to make…

I like to drink it straight at the end of an evening but like it mixed with cola at the start. Although Dark and Stormies are winning a fan or two at home.

My goal is to get more flavour into my rums. I love the aromas I’m getting, but I just want more complexity behind the teeth. My oldest rum is coming up to two soon so that will be interesting. Haven’t touched it since it’s first birthday.

I live in Porirua, which is near the capital Wellington (or the head of the fish that is our north island). Sorry, going on a bit. Looking forward to learning from you guys.