Mai Tai: In search of the perfect...

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Mai Tai: In search of the perfect...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The "perfect Mai Tai"... does it exist?

The spirits, cooking, rum and mixed drink afficiando and web mistress - give me another one - Tiara (mountainofcrushedice.com) recently posted a series seeking the classic and/or perfect Mai Tai, take your choice. She posed an interesting question...
Tiara: "Moving on to the topic of Mai Tai twists from the last post about how to do the original Mai Tai right…

So it´s time to play! the goal here is to stay somewhat true to the Trader Vic´s recipe with only some slight changes because i don´t wanna loose too much of the Mai Tai formula..but true Mai Tais it ain´t anymore…

So what do you think about the original Mai Tai and in doing variations? where is the thin line? when does it become a bastardization?"
So when does a variation become a bastardization? Here's how I responded:

Plato has The Answer!

Milan Kundera in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being":

"Men who pursue a multitude of women fit neatly into two categories. Some seek their own subjective and unchanging dream of a woman in all women. Others are prompted by desire to possess the endless variety of the objective female world."

And so it is with classic drinks like the Mai Tai or the Manhattan.

Regarding the latter, Hans Allhoff (in the book "Whisky & Philosophy) identifies two subsets of mixed drink afficianados - one whose ideal Mai Tai is subjective, ala the womanizer. The other Mai Tai lover he'd identify is objective, a cocktail purist who insists that a classic is a classic, damn it, and seeks the one perfect, classic ideal.

Now bear with me on this.

Allhoff relates all this to Plato's Theory of Forms. This theory would state that there is a "real" Mai Tai - representing reality at its highest". But Plato's Mai Tai, in its "highest form", is not "real" in the sense that we all use the word. Let me paraphrase Allhoff and relate this to our reality. We walk into a bar, order a Mai Tai, and - here's the key - without knowing what went into it, whether we think we got a good onor not depends entirely on how it corresponds to the "form of a Mai Tai" as we have come to know and appreciate a "good one".

A "good one" is our idea (or form) of one. Altshoff ends all this by describing what he calls the "epic drinker", who like the womanizer, wants endless variety. But unlike the womanizer for whom almost any woman will do, the epic drinker won't drink just anything, won't drink just any Mai Tai, but will appreciate only those that best conform to his/her Platonic ideal idea, notion or "form" of the Mai Tai.

In short Tiara, in answer to your question "where is the thin line? when does it become a bastardization?", the simple answer is - you'll know. And so will all the other Mai Tai lovers...
mule1rider
Oscar

Plato's search for the real Mai Tai

Post by mule1rider »

Capn Jimbo,

This is my first post on your great forum. I'm a new traveler on the rum road having started this long journey as a search for the perfect Mai Tai. I believe your reliance on Plato for guidance in finding the perfect Mai Tai to be misguided. Plato was a mystic and would without a doubt choice rums based on false advertising or gimmicks rather than quality of content. Aristotle, and his constant search for truth, would prove a more reliable philosopher on your Mai Tai quest.

I'm living on a mountain top in the Ozarks and the availability of top quality rums is scarce in this region. I'm using homemade orange liqueur, rock candy and orgeat syrup in my recipe as those ingredients are also scarce around here. For rums I'm using pyrat xo (yes I've read your reviews) and Meyers dark rum. Soon I'll be traveling to south Florida which you claim is the fountain of great rums as well as cruising to Barbados. Can you recommend a great store for me to shop to build up my rum collection. I will be using your guide as a road map. I want to try a great cane rum as one of the rums in my recipe. Do you have a favorite Mai tai recipe that you are able to recommend?

Thanks again for your rum research.
Mule1rider

Capn's Log: Actually I wasn't referencing the reality of Plato, but the "form of Plato", lol. Thus even Plato - the real one - would agree with you. A good cane juice rum for purposes of the Mai Tai would probably be Barbancourt Three Star for the cane juice rum component. But the awful truth is - we know less than nothing about either the Mai Tai or mixology in general. Any advice I give you in this regard is absolutely worthless, and the mumblings of a Compleat Idiot.
"I don't want to swim in a roped off sea." JB
mule1rider
Oscar

Post by mule1rider »

I understand that you were using the "form of Plato" but even that is a dangerous thing. Even uttering his name is akin to uttering Harry Potter's forbidden name Voldamort. His philosophy gave us the dark ages which was woefully short of rum. I follow the more modern philosophy of Jimmy Buffet, and the great prophet Beachbum Berry. Rather than searching for a great sipping rum I'm searching for great mixing rums to use in Tiki drinks.

While priced in the $35 range Appleton Estate XO is available here in the Ozarks so unless that rum is at a great price I'll just purchase it locally. Top on my list of rums to purchase in Florida or in "the islands" are Barbancourt Five Star, the El Dorado rums (5, 12, and 15) and Mount Gay XO. I've got a planned visit to Mount Gay's distillery on Barbados. Reading your recommendations on Mr. Seale I'd also enjoy a tour of his distillery on Barbados but I can't find a tour. After reading your reviews I've added Doorly's XO to the list. Any other recommendations you have are welcomed. Have you rated the Depaz Blue Cane Rhum? I'm also interested in local Florida rums.

Capn's Log: Does this mean I can no longer experience platonic love affairs? We are now officially off topic, so I'll keep the answers here. Seale's Foursquare Distillery Tour, details here). When in Barbados I'd be sure to pick up E. S. A. Field (extremely popular there), and Saint Nicholas Abbey (8 and 12yo) impossible to find elsewhere.

Appleton V/X $35?! It's $15 here, and you can buy the much better Extra for perhaps $29. Our south Florida stores have the lowest prices in the nation, no doubt due to our vast Caribbean and South/Central American populations. Some Florida rums you may find are Siesta Key, and Pirate's Choice rums.
mule1rider
Oscar

Post by mule1rider »

Capn Jimbo,

.75 liter appleton xo or extra is $35 in Fayetteville, Ar. The vx version, which is a great rum, is about the same price that you quote for Florida. I purchased several bottles of 1 liter vx on our last cruise for $15 which was a pretty good buy. I'll certainly be adding your recommendations to our list for purchase. We will be spending one day somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Homested before driving down and spending four days in Key West. Then it's back to Miami for the cruise.

Mule1rider.
mule1rider
Oscar

Back on topic

Post by mule1rider »

Capn,

I didn't mean to steal your mai tai topic so I'll try to nudge us back a bit. The rums I want to taste in a mai tai Barbencourt and appleton extra.

Capn's Log: Again, remember I'm NOT your best resource for mixology, but I do know that this combination is a popular one. The Extra is self-evident; as for the Barbancourt, I believe the Three Star is most like the Martinique rums that some favor, as it is notably more reedy than the Five Star. Another cane juice rum is the classic St. James Royal Ambre, which is very competent and a classic Martiniquean profile. Good luck!