Hukilau Festival featuring Beachbum Berry: April 19 - 22nd

Including details of our Weekly Rum E-Tastings. Join our happy group in tasting rums from home or even from your sailboat. Also important Events in south Florida and Awards from just about anywhere. Speaking of where, Wear Wearever wherever you go!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Hukilau Festival featuring Beachbum Berry: April 19 - 22nd

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ahh waka waka, nuka nuka, wooki nookie...

According to the Sun Sentinel, the annual Hukilau festival, held at the world famous Mai Kai is the largest Polynesian, Tiki-themed celebration on the east coast. Seriously, attendees travel from all over the world for this one.

Here's some of the highlights...
Sun Sentinel: "...a rum soaked appreciation of Tiki chic, tattoos and time honored time bombs (drinks)... includes more events held at the Mai Kai, a more budget friendly hotel and a more laid back schedule.

Entertainment include a performance by Nashville supergroup, the Martian Denny Orchestra, a Zombie symposium by mixologist and author Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, a tattoo symposium by tattoo artist and historian Paul Roe and performances by burlesque star Angie Pontani, the Italian Stallionetter. "
Prices: $75 for Thursday night, Friday/Saturday for $55 and Thursday to Saturday for $85. Symposiums extra. Apparently the key event is the Friday Main Event at the Bahia Cabana for $27. The symposiums range from $15 to $35.

Details (here).

Bottom Line:

American culture has its share of cult followers, from our own Parrotheads (following Jimmy Buffet), to the great American Tiki Culture. You can bet you'll even see a few "Zombies" in full Zombie drag who know that the Mai Kai is famous for its original version of the Zombie - the drink designed by Donn Beach (Don the Beachcomber), and that started it all!

If you have never been to the Mai Kai, it is absolutely breathtaking, huge and rambling, full of exotic plants, authentic Polynesian decor, waterfalls, walkways, dancers and the most amazing and delicious tropical drinks available anywhere, made with fine rums of all kinds.

Think I'm kidding? Their original Zombie is simply delicious and delivers at least 5 shots of good rum in Polynesian style by your equally luscious Polynesian server. Yum... don't miss it! See you there...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Here, even 8)

Capn's Log: Once again, the inimitable U-man, who silently monitors each and every character I type, inevitably discovering yet another of my completely idiotic mistakes - and then - and then - correcting them. My hero!
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Shucks, t'weren't nothin'...just trying to make you look less the "Compleat Idiot" and more the dynamic leader :wink:

Capn's Log: But I take pride in being The Compleat Idiot! It's easy, fun and rewarding - not to mention people give me dollar bills to go away...
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Uisge wrote:Shucks, t'weren't nothin'...just trying to make you look less the "Compleat Idiot" and more the dynamic leader :wink:

Capn's Log: But I take pride in being The Compleat Idiot! It's easy, fun and rewarding - not to mention people give me dollar bills to go away...
Well I won't do THAT again....for a fee ;)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Late breaking news...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A bum in time...

Beachbum Berry and I are e-acquaintances - we've exchanged a number of emails about rum and most recently about the true origin of the "Mai Tai" (I found a possible new source - the family of the newsman reported to have been present barside with Vic and Donn, when Vic allegedly credited Donn for the MT).

Berry is a true gentleman and scholar, and we look forward to finally meeting in person, and reporting on what should be an amazing event... seriously, if you live in our south Florida paradise, or can get here, and especially if you have never been to such an event or to the world famous Mai Kai, it is simply not to be missed...