Review: Rhum J.M. Blanc, 50%

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!

How do you rate Rhum J.M. Blanc (five is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Rhum J.M. Blanc, 50%

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Rhum J.M. Blanc: Hot flan...
From the label: "Rhum J.M. is natural rum distilled from fresh cane juice from select sugarcanes of the sloping volcanic fields... just in front of Mont Pelee... full bodied and aromatic..."
We recently posted two new reviews of young, white cane juice rums (aka rhum agricole for the snobs), specifically Barbancourt White and Clement Premiere Canne. The inspiration? I found a closeout for this J.M. for the pittance of $12.95. Yes, you read that right, and for a full liter to boot. Having acquired this rare, rare bargain it was both natural and proper to taste and review it with two reference rums - one made under the strict and limiting AOC regs, and one by art.

You know which is which.

Now usually I blather on and on - much to the delight of the Preacher whose usual exclamations are limited to brief monkey proclamations, where brevity and unquestionable simplicity are demanded. I on the other hand, like to entertain, challenge and educate you - my fellow idiots. Enough, basta! The review:

Sue Sea:
Wow! If I were to judge by bottle alone, Rhum J.M. Blanc would be a no brainer, top ten rum. I'm a sucker for classic and traditional bottles and label presentation, and the J.M bottle displays it in spades. A short and expanded bubble neck with handy screw top, sitting atop a nice squat, embossed clear glass bottle. The large square label features a fauz parchment on a wavy green background, "Rhum J.M" in a deep shadowed blood red, over a plantation house and still house complex, just off a tropical beach and background of a sailing ship being supplied by ship's tenders. All in a folk art style, featuring tiny, tiny "handwritten" script that really does require a magnifying glass to read.

Rhum J.M. Blanc opens with a licorice and anise tinged cane and reed, pungently earthy. You can smell its strength, as confirmed in the early hot and consistent palate. This early heat rapidly grows into a striking white pepper, which concludes when the heat and sweet come together with hints of ripe banana. The finish is long and hot! White and even jalapeno pepper hot. The aftertaste is of overripe, mooshy banana, almost custardy, and with a sprinkle of nutmeg.

A powerful and edgy experience that like other stronger spirits really needs to be carefully diluted with a little water. The addition of a bit of water makes the Rhum J.M. Blanc smoother, less hot and releases especially the inherent sweetness, licorice and anisette. Indeed, sipping this rum almost requires a light dilution.

I found Rhum J.M. Blanc enjoyable in a classic Ti Punch (side slice of fresh lime, 1/4 tsp. of raw sugar, 1-1/2 oz of J.M.). For sipping a heaping tablespoon of crushed ice might be nice.
Let me continue with Sue Sea's lovely review and pause for a moment on Rhum J.M. Blanc's bottle presentation, free of the hot breath of the marketing department. As so well said by Ralfy, truly fine spirits of great repute stand on their own, and a classic, simple and hard-to-read but gracious label is actually quite perfect. And screw tops are not only practical, they protect your spirit as well. The Artic Wolf to the contrary, of course.

Rhum J.M. Blanc is crystal clear, displaying not wholly unexpected alcohol-induced slow legs. To me, Rhum J.M. Blanc opened with a clearcut caney/reedy nose, with a notable sweet background of honey. Do nose with care, it's 50%. As well noted by Sue Sea, the palate starts hot, and just gets hotter. Rhum J.M. Blanc is totally consistent. To be sure this cane juice rum is all about its earthy, caney/reedy character. Any other impressions are simply bit parts in what is basicly a one-cane show.

The addition of water is a must for sipping; at full strength it will do well in a Ti Punch. But the real bottom line is price - at $39 for what is really intended for mixing is a bit stiff, particularly when Barbancourt's more sophisticated blanc can be had for little more than a third of that price.

Score (ten is best): solid 6.