Rum Review: Rhum Dillon Blanc (55%)

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!

How do you rate Rhum Dillon Blanc (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Rhum Dillon Blanc (55%)

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Rhum Dillon Blanc: Coming soon...

Capn's Log: The long awaited review follows this post! Feel free to skip the rest of my idiotic mumblings and page down to an amazing review of this totally unexpected rum, er rhum...

There's quite a bit of misunderstanding about this cane juice rum.

The Preacher seems to have a hard on for Dillon, which was produced near his favorite, La Favorite (whom he represents, and which you can hardly find). For example in an old thread he claimed that the Dillon distillery closed in 2005; in a recent post he added that Dillon closed "...a few (actually 6) years ago..." because somehow the city of Fort de France (Martinique) made it difficult for them to "drive trucks with 30 tons of sugar cane in tow".

I won't argue with him, but I've seen pictures of the trucks, and they really don't seem all that big (more like the size of local moving truck). And Fort de France is Martiniques largest city, and home to a French naval base and shipping port. Fort de France is one of Caribbean's larger cities, the largest city in Martinique, and the port handles exports of sugar, rum, tinned fruit, and cacao. Dillon was actually south of the city, located near the port.

It's hard to believe that Dillon ceased operations, particularly as the distillery was a point of pride in the city, not to mention that truck traffic near a port is hardly unusual. The actual truth: Dillon contracted with St. James (who also distills for several other well known Martiniquean cane juice rums) to distill their products, and simply converted their distillery to a large rum aging and bottling operation, still in Fort de France. The facility was even larger as Dillon then aged and bottled for Depaz, St. James and of course for their own label (produced at St. James).

Any implication is that Dillon ceased operations is simply not true. Another disturbing statement is the Preacher's raised eye implication that because the bottle's label states "Distille et eleve a la Martinique" ("distilled and aged in Martinique"), "...Dillon Blanc isn't aged so that doesn't make sense." Au contraire, mon ami - as the Prophet surely knows, according to his vaunted AOC regulations, a blanc must be aged not less than 3 months. It is not fresh make.

But he knew that, of course. Naughty little boy!

Back to the present...

It was only about a month or two ago that Sue Sea and I found a bottle of Rhum Negrita, a lovely, AOC-free Martiniqean cane juice rum (reviewed in this section). To our surprise we found a full liter of Rhum Dillon Blanc (55%!) for just $18, a no brainer.

Although I have the notes of our tasting, you'll have to wait, but let me say this is an excellent cane juice rum that scored quite well. Stay tuned...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

The fackin review...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The fackin review...

Since I've already blathered sufficiently about this cane juice rum, let's get to the reviews...

Sue Sea:
By now and like me, you may have noted that cane juice rums, like many fine spirits seem to be presented in rather ordinary and classic bottles, particularly for the whites. On the other hand the aged versions tend to find a home in cognac style bottles. In most cases the labels are also classic and traditional. Frankly, with rare exception I find the intrusion of the marketing department rather offputting, as truly fine spirits of reputation stand on their own history of quality and word of mouth. I particularly dislike marginal and romanticized backstories.

Rhum Dillon is an absolutely classic standard bottle, with "Dillon", "1779" and a reproduction of a plantation house embossed in glass. and featuring a wonderful large and rectangular traditional label of a rich red and gold leaf over an orange mustard yellow background. Beautifully classic, bright and tropical.

As is this lovely white cane juice rum.

We actually did two reviews of this rum and I'm going to combine my notes, which were really quite similar although our second tasting and notes were briefer. There is a tendency to search for descriptors, but the downside of a descriptor rich review is that the overall harmony and quality may not be sufficiently addressed.

Rhum Dillon Blanc presents as rich and robust, with aromas and flavors that smack you upside the head. Full flavored but not heavy. The primary aromas are of anisette and earthy cane. Like a baked pitzel, with a bit of lemon rind. This blanc is earthy, with a distant fresh sourness of fresh cane, and a bit of cacao and nutmeg. There is even a deep dried fruit, perhaps apricot? Bit of raisin? Overall this lovely rum reminds me of the smells of our tropical beaches, and is like standing near the high tide line experiencing the tropical breezes and seaweeded sand.

Think baked pastry, shortbread, and anise pitzels.

The early palate was consistent featuring again the anisette and fields of reed. On reflection I found flakes of fresh coconut (like on a macaroon), and hints of fig and orange rind in a nice creamy body. So nice, and I'm reminded of Jim's ouzo and its subtle, sweet anise. Make no mistake, heat makes its early appearance and grows to a hot, hot white pepper, even jalapeno and clove finish.

Overall this is a fine blanc. It reminds me of a good agave tequila, with a the dry, spicy finish of a rye whisky. Rhum Dillon Blanc is robust and intense but quite rich and handleable. As with all overproof spirits, the addition of water (in this case about 2 teaspoons) works very, very well.

Having tasted a wide variety of blancs, this white is one of the best and is the only Martiniqean offering that approaches Barbancourt's sophisticated pot stilled white. Fabulous.
Me: Rhum Dillon Blanc is a smashing blanc that at $18.95 for a full liter, was a terrific value. Along with Barbancourt's amazing blanc this is proof positive that great rums can be had for very reasonable prices. Cost in no way indicates quality.

Rhum Dillon Blanc presents as a clear but not brilliant white, no edge. The initial aroma is of a very pleasant green cane - fresh cut. The opening nose is earthy, reedy, vegetal and pungent, lightly fruity and floral, nicely fermented can. I particularly enjoy when a rum like this then strikes the palate with a somewhat unexpected sweetness. Make no mistake the peppery cane is there as the heat gains momentum and builds to a hot white pepper finish, with a lingering black licorice aftertaste.

Think black licorice, ouzo, pineapple syrup and fig newton. Great stuff! If you are so fortunate as to run into a bottle, buy it or forever shut the front door.. You won't be sorry. And if you're a cane juice fan (or Shillery rhum snob) buy two or three.

Score (ten is best): 8.