Rum Review: Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream: "Mango Pumpkin Pie"

You're about to enjoy a short series of reviews of spiced and dessert rums. Actually we've had these around for awhile, but there are so many rums, so little time. In this flight we tried El Dorado's Golden Rum Cream, Foursquare Spiced Rum and this: Wray and Nephew's Rum Cream (15% alcohol).

As mentioned in the El Dorado review, most cream liqueurs taste a lot like Bailey's Irish Cream and the El Dorado was no exception. Not the Wray and Nephew!

Sue Sea and Me:
We received the Wray and Nephew's as a gift in a 200 ml amber glass bottle. Like the Overproof, this rum cream comes in a no-nonsense, classic round bottle with a medium "puffed" neck and relatively simple label. Alcohol content is a mere 15%, despite being made with Wray & Nephew's Overproof.

On first pour we noted this rum cream is notably thicker and heavier than the El Dorado. For aroma, Sue Sea found a definite mango - I picked up a fruit and cacao. Tastewise Sue Sea founr this rum cream was consistent with a lovely mango, cacao, pumpkin, nutmeg and allspice. I found the taste to be of tropical fruit and a lightly sweet chocolate.

To be fair we expected a cloying or coating aftertaste, but were surprised to find the opposite. Very nice.

In sum, Wray and Nephew's Rum Cream is of high quality, suprisingly complex and tasty. It is the first rum cream we've had where the spirit's component made itself known to such an extent.

Rating (10 is best): 7.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat May 22, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

uh...pardon me?? Where can this interesting creamed blend be found--or should I say, who's leg should I amputate to have a sample??
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

You got me by the nads...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I wish I could tell you where to find it. Wray & Nephews - made by Wray and her nephews, really - is a household item in all but a handful of Jamaican households. The overproof is easy to find. The rum cream? I wish.

I can't even find it here in South Florida and our handy location means we have access to almost everything. If you find one, tell me...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I found a place where it is "expected in stock" this month - Total Wine in Atlanta - but it is not cheap, $20 for a 200 ml bottle.

Oddly enough I checked the TW in Orlando (where I will be in June) and it does not show up in their inventory.

I found it in online inventory at a place in NJ - Wine Chateau - but not actually in stock. Their price was a much better $10.69 (on sale reg $15)