Hello

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
da'rum
Minor God

Hello

Post by da'rum »

Just a quick introduction as is customary.

I am a 38 year old rum appreciator that doesn't have a rum collection, instead I have a list of bottles that have made their journey through my house and inevitably into the rubbish bin. Some bottle were given a salute and were accompanied with a tear as I lay their bodies to rest in the bin. Others were thrown in with force, spit and were forgotten before the lid of the bin slammed shut.

I am glad to be part of this forum as I am right behind Jimbo in his view of the need for transparency in relation to rum labelling ie additives and also transparency when reviewers have ties with promoters or distillers. The latter really not being the sole problem of rum reviewers as the alcohol beverage industry in the whole is riddled with hand washing and back scratching.
I don't think rum that has additives should be labelled 'faux rum' or 'imitation rum' but do absolutely believe that it should state on the bottle in large font whether and what additives are contained. I have the same view for every 'food stuff' that people consume. It takes on a different emphasis in alcohol production however as the production is touted as artisan so the consumer should be informed if the producers felt the need to 'cheat' or boost the end products flavour, colour or aroma.

My favourite rums are the El dorado line and think that not one is better than the other with each having similarities but changing profiles according to age. I like the 12 equally as much as the 21 and the 15 being the transition between the two. It's my belief that they are a great 3 to line up next to each other and really have a lesson on the effects of time in the barrel.

Flor de Cana 12 is another that I'm quite fond of as it is a very well balanced rum that isn't super sweet and has some very nice flavours that play and skip over the tongue as a glass is enjoyed. It is a rum that likes to be held in the mouth for a few seconds before swallowing so it leave it's mark behind.

There are many more rums that I have really enjoyed over the years but have never given thought into reviewing them or describing them in terms of bananas,coffee or chocolate butterflies, my reviews are normally enthusiastic bullying of my friends into trying one that I liked followed by scorn of that same friend if his/her enthusiasm of the product didn't match mine. I may add a few opinions to the reviews here but my posts will probably be woefully lacking in flowery verbs.

Well that'll do. (that was short wasn't it?)

Cheers to you all.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice to have you aboard - it's clear to me you are yet another rum afficianado with an appreciation for purity and quality. We look forward to your posts.

A note on the El Dorados - we too love vertical tastings to determine the effects of age on rum. El Dorado though makes this impossible as their products use different blends from a number (I believe seven) different stills, for different products. Thus a vertical comparison is not really possible.

The same is true of the Flor de Canas - lovely if somewhat bland. We believe there are two different blends used in their line. Do check out that section or you'll see which is which - at least in our opinion...

Again, welcome!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

No, I'm not an afficianado. An enthusiastic amateur best describes me I think. Proven by my off target remarks about El dorado. I didn't know they used different blends from different stills for each aged product and didn't really notice much difference in profile in each of them except maybe the what I thought was the oak from aging. So shows that maybe I should stick to 'yep tastes good' or 'nope that to me tastes like bath water' in my 'opinions'

I actually like the way FDC 12 is, as you put it, "bland" I'd say subtle withought overpowering taste in any department. It is enjoyable with a colorado wrapped cigar and also when I'm in the mood for a down to earth rum.
oops
I mean, 'tastes good'
in goes your eye out
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Glad You are Active on this Site!

Post by John Willy »

da'rum,

I am what you might call a novice. Sometimes I become frustrated with the lack of posts and particularly knowledgeable posts. You, Capn' and a few others are adding more content that is valuable to me. It is much appreciated and welcomed. It can be so disappointing to come back to this site, knowing it gets traffic, and nothing new is posted for what seems like days. I encourage, no I implore you to continue to add your valuable tasting experiences and opinions. Sometimes the herd needs a good cattle-dog to keep it headed in a proper direction. I mean no offense to others. The Capn' and Sue it goes without saying. The rest of you, I need some 'gentle' assistance.

Again, da'rum, thanks for all you have provided in just a few weeks.

Regards,
John
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Cheers John, I also wish there was more traffic here. However, as you said, if a few member keep posting even though it feels like no one is home I think eventually the forum will kick off.

I think the problem is there are a lot of rum reviewers with blogs and their own forums and that dilutes the chat pool a bit. However I think this place has the makings of a good forum. Jimbo can continue fighting the good fight and pedantically pulling apart all the inconsistencies and conflicts of interest across the industry. While he does that we can post interesting (hopefully) posts on rum stuff and review rums that haven't been reviewed and perhaps a pair or more of relative noobs (I am a an enthusiastic amateur as well) can make this place seem like a unique and honest place to hang out, talk rummish and support the cause of honesty and transparency across the booze industry.

I've got a lot of crap to post yet before I run out of steam;)
in goes your eye out