Rum Review: Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Ron Barillito Two Star Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum: "Puncha Peppa"

Note: this was one of our first, really crappy reviews. Although it turned out to be surprisingly accurate anyway, please be sure to see the updated review, following this post.

No doubt you've heard of these two rums from Puerto Rico: Ron del Barrilito Two Star and the perhaps more aged Three Star. Quite well respected at the Shillery, Two Star is actually preferred by Preacher Ed for a daily sipper. On this particular evening Sue Sea and I decided to taste these two primarily to see what a few more years would do (see also the Ron Abuelo and Ron Abuelo 7 reviews). The envelope please:

Sue Sea:
For a brief moment I thought Jim had given me an agricole because I immediately picked up some mild caney and grassy aromas. On reflection I got a hint of butterscotch as well. The taste was quite an unexpected change, with a real punch of pepper with a little ginger and clove. The finish was consistent with the taste: lingering - peppery with a glowing hot ginger. Good stuff.
Me:

Sue Sea and I are in complete accord on this one. And so are the good Preacher Ed and I regarding preferring Two Star as a pleasant daily drinker. I did pick up the grassy/caney aroma in the taste as well, so it's fair to say I found a bit more balance and coordinated transition than Sue Sea who could not relate the aroma to the taste and finish. If I were you, I'd trust Sue Sea on this one. OTOH, Ed loves this rum, one of the few of which he dares to speak out.

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 4, Capn Jimbo - 6.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Update!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Update!

The Ron del Barrilito's were some of the very first rums we reviewed, and it shows. Our review was tentative, short and relatively safe. And we hadn't touched them since then. Recently I felt driven to dust off the Two and Three Star and give them another go.

Here's the updated result:

Sue Sea:
In reading our original reviews I was struck by how little Jimbo had to say. Boy, has that changed! Ron del Barrilito Two Star comes in a fairly ordinary, slant shouldered bottle with cute, old world silver label (the Three Star's label uses gold trim) featuring competion medallions. Both use plastic screw tops that do a nice job of preserving the rum, if not particularly attractive.

In rereviewing the Barrilito Two Star I was first struck with its gentle light honey leather aroma, over a bit of cacao. With time in the glass I found my original caney overtones. Really there is not much else. So far so good.

The palate opens with a light honey sweetness, then BANG! A hot clove or cinnamon shoves its way through, takes over and rises to an almost overpowering hot white pepper finish, almost a burn. Very, exceedingly Cuban in nature.

Overall I find the Two Star to be rather simple and what is called hollow. A smoothly enticing aroma, and skipping to a very unexpected and very hot finish. Whew! I believe only a few rum drinkers will like this rum - I do, but only to a limited extent.

Me:

Ron del Barrilito Two Star is both simple and deceptive. Its color is a light straw yellow with fast thin legs. The first aroma is light and enticing, a light honey over clove, touch of cane and some high light fruits - think grapefruit or lemon. Simple and nice - and until the early palate, this remains so. Two Star opens lightly sweet and then the heat breaks loose. The palate develops to an astringent, hot kicking white pepper finish.

All in all, Two Star is choppy, empty and a bit shocking. It lacks the consistency, balance and smooth development and transitions of the many better rums we own.

Still the Barrilito's have a following. The Two Star especially can be had quite economically and might be worth a try just to understand why so many Puerto Ricans drink it.

We finished by pouring Doorly's Five Year, and then the magnificent XO - both of which drove home the shortcomings of the Barrilito Two Star. Following this second tasting, Sue Sea raised her score slightly, while I reduced mine. We agreed...

Score (10 is best): 5.