Rum Review: Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos Rum (five is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos Rum: "Orange Blossom Licorice"

You knew it had to happen. Most reviewers tend to ignore Bacardi and for good reason. Bacardi is about heavy duty politics, masterful marketing, bullying distribution and financial success. They have made their mark with with relatively light but commercially successful rums, with a new label being added approximately every 15 minutes. Still not all their rums are flavored or for "Bacardi and Coke". Bacardi 8 Anos deserves our review...

Sue Sea:
Like most Americans I think we've all called for Bacardi and Coke at one time or another, and didn't think much about it. It was part of World War II and Pax Americana. Bacardi 8 comes in a nice squat round classic bottle with a nice neck, traditional label and their famous black bat on a red background. Very nice. This Bacardi has a very nice aroma - sweetly floral, almost like frangipans or orange blossom, with a little vanilla and a light oak. It is a light rum and has what I call a "fresh" taste. Light and crisp it then explodes on your tongue like cold apple juice on a hot day. The finish is short and warm.

I think this rum makes a pleasant light sipper, something to enjoy during the day or at the picnic table.
Me:

I'd resisted buying anything Bacardi until quite late in the game, but really thought I should. Research led me to Bacardi's Reserva 8 Anos. The color is clear gold with medium legs. First nosing revealed an alcohol prickle. With subsequent careful nosing I found a light honey sweetness, licorice, a hint of orange blossom and light oak. The 8's taste was consistent, a light bodied light honey with growing peppery sensations in the mouth (but not the throat). The finish is short and warm.

In sum, Sue Sea and I agree that Bacardi Reserva 8 Anos is a surprisingly pleasant light sipper. I do find it hard to believe this rum has been aged for eight years. A reasonable value, but you really can do better (eg Cruzan Estate Diamond 5 Year).

Score (10 is best): Sue Sea - 6, Jimbo - 5.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

So, I was just on the Bacardi website (don't ask me why), and observed that the Bacardi 8 is listed in their Flavored rum section. An interesting admission, don't you think?

Capn's Log: Really! Must check that out, though I'm not sure what that implies... (Later) Indeed the 8 Anos is placed with "flavored rums" rather than with the "traditional rums":Solera,Anejo, Gold, Select, or Superior. I don't get it.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2