Greetings

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"

There are a limited number of decent Rums available in Ohio, what should I choose next?

Mount Gay Eclipse Black
No votes
Wray and Nephew Overproof
No votes
Prichard's Fine Rum
33%
Pusser's Blue Label
33%
Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum
33%
Gosling's Black Seal
No votes
Pyrat XO
No votes
Myers's Original Dark Rum
No votes
Zaya Gran Reserva 12
No votes
Ron Zacapa 23
No votes

Total votes: 3

jankdc
Cap'n

Greetings

Post by jankdc »

I live in Cleveland Ohio and am basically a rum newb. I just finished a bottle of Barbancourt 5-star and was researching what to get next. Before that I had Appleton Extra 12 year. I still have some 10-cane that I got before those two bottles.

None of the Basic reference collection is currently available in Ohio. I'm trying to decide between Mount Gay Eclipse Black, Wray and Nephew Overproof, Pusser's blue label, and Pritchards Fine Rum.

About me: I'm 44, own way too many watches (old mechanical ones), love biking. I got a kid in High School and great wife who I met in massage school. I am a chiropractor with my own practice. I love what I do.

This is a great site. There may be better rum sites out there, but I stopped looking after I found this one.

Before I posted, I saw a poll available and I thought I'd create one. Whatever comes out on top, I will purchase.
bearmark
Beermeister

Welcome from fellow newbie!

Post by bearmark »

Like you, I'm fairly new to this rum thing (about a year), but I can tell you that you've found the best place to learn about it. The classification of rum styles has been immensely helpful to me and I highly recommend exploring each one, even if you can't find the exact products on the reference list. You've had a good start with a Jamaican (the best one I've had) and a Rhum Agricole (the same one I've tried).

I've also observed some honest and open discussion here. I've read the history of a few people moving on because of disagreement, but those discussions have been very informative, regardless of which side you've taken. In my opinion, the partings have been detrimental to both the forum and the departing individuals. I say all of this to encourage you to honestly share what you think about the rums you've tasted and be prepared to learn a lot from the knowledgeable and newbies alike (which reminds me that I need to start doing more of the same :wink:). You'll get the most out of the experience that way.

Having said that, what did you think of the Appleton Extra and Barbancourt 5-Star? Did you like them? Which one did you prefer and why? Answers to those questions would help in determining a recommendation for the next purchase. Without knowing what you've liked, I would recommend moving on to another style, which rules out Prichards at least. Wray & Nephew and Pusser's, although Jamaican in style, are really different beasts in their own way (I've only tried Pusser's and it's a radical departure from Appleton... Wray & Nephew is on my list). You could try a Mount Gay (Barbadian) and based on Cap'n Jimbo's reviews, it seems that either would be a decent choice. I've had the Eclipse Gold and XO, and I would heartily recommend the XO even at the higher price... it's fantastic!

In the meantime, I'll cast a vote for Mount Gay Eclipse Gold. It's a new style for you, reasonably priced, a great mixer and a decent sipper.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Thanks, I really don't know much about rum. The Appleton was my favorite. All I remember was that it was the tastiest rum that I've had. I remember the Barbancourt being good and while I really liked it, I wished I still had the Appleton. Now that I only have the ten-cane, I miss the Barbencourt.

I'll probably go with a Mt. Gay next.

In the meantime, while I've found these reviews really helpful, I wish there was a spot that I can quickly reference the positively reviewed rums. So I've decided to make a list here with links to rums that have a combined rating of 7 or more (once I've finished it I'll ask where to put it in the forum). I'm also including the average price found on wine-searcher.com:

Mount Gay 1703 Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 10 $96 ($80-110)

Mount Gay Extra Old Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 9.5 $45 ($37-54) The Original Standard of Rum, also the Reference for Barbadian Rum.
Myers's Legend Jamaican Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 9.5 $46 ($42-52)
R. L. Seale's 10 Year Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 9.5 $50 ($35-69)

Dos Maderas 5 + 3 Years Cask & Barrel Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 9 $34 ($30-43)
Mount Gay Sugar Cane Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 9 $24 ($23-25)
Prichard's Private Stock Rum Style: Jamaican Rating 9 $110 ($107-115)
Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaican Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 9 $30 ($28-34)
Westerhall Plantation Rum Style: Cane Juice / Cuban Rating 9 $27 ($22-32)

Alleyne Arthur's Special Barbados Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8.5 $Not found ($15-20?)
Doorly's XO Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 8.5 $35 ($29-45) Capn Jimbo recommends as your second bottle of rum after Mount Gay Extra Old and before you start your reference collection.
Flor de Cana 18 Year Style: Demeraran Rating 8.5 $32 ($30-37)
Mount Gay Eclipse Black Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 8.5 $22 ($19-26)
Prichard's Fine Rum Style: Jamaican Rating 8.5 $38 ($32-45)
Starr African Rum Style: Cuban Rating 8.5 $34 ($30-38)
Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 8.5 $22 ($19-26)

Angostura 1919 Rum Style: "Twiggie Tie Dye" Rating 8 $34 ($30-37) Capn Jimbo recommends to round out basic collection.
Appleton Extra 12 Year Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 8 $34 ($27-38) The Reference Standard for Jamaican Rum.
Barbancourt Five Star (8 Year) Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8 $26 ($22-30) The Reference Standard for Cane Juice Rum.
Brinley's Gold Coffee Rum Style: Flavored Rating 8 $21 ($18-22) Capn Jimbo recommends to fill out the basic collection.
Calidao Original Jamaican Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 8 $Not found ($25?)
Cruzan Single Barrel Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 8 $29 ($23-35)
Doorly's Five Year Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 8 $26 ($21-29)
El Dorado 15 Year Special Reserve Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 8 $37 ($30-45) The Reference Standard for Demeraran Rum.
Jack Tar Dark Rum Style: Jamaican Rating 8 $Not listed ($15?)
Montecristo 12 Year Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8 $37 ($34-40)
Plantation Barbados Old Reserve 1995 Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 8 $80 (Note other years can be had from $27)
Pusser's Red Label Rum Style: Cuban Rating 8 $26 ($20-29)
Rhum Barbancourt White Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8 $18 ($14-22)
Rhum Dillon Blanc Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8 $Not Found ($20?)
Ron Barcello Imperial Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 8 $29 ($24-34)
Ron Centenario Conmemorativo Rum Style: Cuban Rating 8 $22 ($19-24)
Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva Solera 15 Rum Style: Cuban Rating 8 $30 ($20-38) The Reference Standard For Cuban Rum.
Ron Viejo de Caldas 8yo Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 8 $14 ($10-18)
Santa Teresa 1796 Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 8 $38 ($34-45)

Barbancourt Estate Reserve (15 Year) Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7.75 $45 ($38-51)
Charbay Tropical Islands Cane Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7.75 $35 ($35-35)
Mount Gay Eclipse Gold Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 7.75 $21 ($16-26)
Ron Botran Solera 1893 Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7.75 $32 ($30-37)
Sea Wynde Rum Style: Jamaican Rating 7.75 $40 ($35-42)

El Dorado 5 Year Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7.5 $19 ($18-21)
El Dorado 12 Year Special Reserve Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7.5 $27 ($23-30)
Pirate's Choice Molasses Reef Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 7.5 $Not found
Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 7.5 $26 ($22-29)
Pyrat XO Rum Style: "Twiggie Tie Dye" Rating 7.5 $29 ($22-35)
Ron Aniversario Cartavio Anejo Cinco (5) Anos Style: Demeraran Rating 7.5 $21.50 ($20-21)
Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7.5 $Not found ($18-20)
Ron Barcelo Gran Anejo Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7.5 $19 ($18-22)
Rum San Pablo Style: Cuban Rating 7.5 $13 ($one seller)
Santero Rum Seven Year Style: Cuban Rating 7.5 $Not Listed ($20-25?)

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos Rum Style: "Twiggie Tie Dye" Rating 7.25 $43 ($37-50) Capn Jimbo recommends to pick up only to appease the rum snobs.

Barbancourt Three Star (4 Year) Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7 $20 ($16-25)
Bermudez Anniversario 12 Anos Style: Cuban Rating 7 $27 ($26-30)
Clement Premiere Canne Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7 $34 ($30-38)
Cockspur 12 Year Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 7 $34 ($27-38)
Cohiba Rum 8 Year Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $Not Listed ($10-20?)
Cruzan Estate Diamond Rum Style: Barbadian Rating 7 $26 ($14-35)
Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserve Rum Style: Cuban Rating 7 $19 ($13-24)
Flor de Cana Seven (7) Year Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $22 ($19-25)
Flor de Cana Twelve Year Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $35 ($30-42)
Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva Rum Style: Jamaican Rum Rating 7 $32 ($25-38)
Rhum Negrita Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7 $17 ($12-24)
Ron Abuelo Anejo 12 Anos Gran Reserva Rum Style: Cuban Rating 7 $35 ($17-45)
Ron Anejo Cacique Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $18 ($14-22)
Ron Barcelo Anejo Rum Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $16 ($13-20)
Ron de Jeremy Rum Style: Cuban Rating 7 $30 ($27-35)
Ron Medellin Extra Anejo 8 Anos Style: Demeraran Rating 7 $20 ($20)
Ron Viejo de Caldas Three (3) Year Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7 $14 ($10-19)
Saint James Hors d'Age Rum Style: Cane Juice Rum Rating 7 $48 ($43-59)
Zaya Gran Reserva 12 Year Rum Style: "Twiggie Tie Dye" Rating 7 $35 ($27-45)

Other Rums of Note:

Flor de Cana Gold (4 year) Style: Demeraran Rating 4.5 $16 ($13-19) This is a classic mixing rum that Capn Jimbo recommends to fill out the basic collection.
Gosling's Black Seal Rum Style: Dark Rating 6 $21 ($16-26) This is a classic dark rum that is usually mixed. Capn Jimbo recommends to fill out the basic collection.

Ok, there it is. I didn't go through the spiced rums because I really am not interested at this point. Please check the links and notify me of errors.
Last edited by jankdc on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 am, edited 15 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Gday, welcome to the forum.

It's a shame that the expertienced members haven't found the time to comment on this thread yet.

As previously said by Bearmark, just work your way through the different styles and regions of origin and don't be too fussed over ratings. Use the ratings as a very very rough guideline as your tastes will be your own.

I will comment on a couple of things on your two lists, please bear in mind that these comments are purely my personal opinion.

Firstly; stay under $50 if you can, even better stay under $40 as the there are exceptional rums of all styles under and around these price marks and the more you fork out the higher the prices go as the marketing bastards will up the prices accordingly.

The Mount gay bottles are great rums but at those prices listed I'd not buy them.

The Pyrat xo is only worth a try if you want a base reference on what rum should not be and if you have a few dollars to flush down the toilet. Not saying you shouldn't try it but maybe at a bar so you don't have to buy a whole bottle. Same for the Zacapa although you may like that, as for overpriced lolly water, it isn't too bad.

The rest in the POLL list are fine rums that are pretty much essential to try to at least give your rum future a solid grounding.

So thoroughly exhaust your money on cheaper rums, you'll be doing yourself and the rum drinking public a big favour.

Read here for further info;

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=581

Enjoy and let us know how your going with it.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Nest?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Next! (Reminding me of the Army rectal exams of we newly drafted)...

So, what's next?

Based on your list, I have to recommend the Mount Gay Black. It lands somewhere between the Eclipse and the Extra Old, but closer to the wonderful MGXO. This will cover the Bajan or Barbadian style.

Pusser's Blue Label is a must buy as an unequalled window to history and tradition. When hundreds of years of British Navy tradition ended, along with a rum that was the official rum of the British Royal Navy, twice a day, until 1971 this wonderful secret formula died. It was not until Charles Tobia was given the formula to make Pussers Blue Label on the proviso that he keep the secret, and based on his offer that half the profits would go to the British seaman's fund.

A labor of love that kept a grand tradtion and rum alive. This is what real rum tasted like for well over a hundred years. No other rum can claim this continuity, nor make that claim. A must buy. Learn this rum well, and also give yourself the incredible pleasure of making an authentic Pusser's Painkiller...

I also recommend clicking on the Frog at the top of this page, which will take you to the main Project page, where you will find the first few chapters of my E-book on rum tasting...

Next!!
jankdc
Cap'n

Finished the list of Reviews

Post by jankdc »

I finished the reviews, I was wondering where to put it? Any Suggestions?
jankdc
Cap'n

Found some Mount Gay Extra Old and Ron Matusalem

Post by jankdc »

Found some MGXO and Ron Matusalem on closeout. I had to drive 45 minutes each way, but it was worth it. (Especially since MGXO was less than the Mount Gay Black Label).

If you live in Ohio, here are some tips for finding good rum.