Da'rum's commercial rum blending - Experiment 1

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
da'rum
Minor God

Da'rum's commercial rum blending - Experiment 1

Post by da'rum »

Experiment 1

Trying to get El Dorado 15 close to Pusser's by adding Smith and Cross.

30 ml ED15
1 ml increments of S&C, 5 ml in total

Compared against...

30 ml Pusser's 75% diluted to approx 42% with fresh distilled water.

Results; Main objective - success of sorts

On pouring these rums I had the feeling that this experiment wouldn't work as the age on the ED has altered the profile so much that at the core it was too different from relatively young rum of Pusser's. I added 1 ml of the Smith & Cross and although the resulting taste was fantastic it was by no means similar to Pusser's

The ED is honeyed and has a consistency that the Pusser's doesn't. The deeper aromas of the ED/SC were in opposition to the comparatively lighter and more noticeably estery Pusser's. The taste of the ED/SC is amazingly complex and recommend that if any one gets the chance they should give this a try, it is plainly delicious.

This remained so until the 4 ml of S&C mark and then at that point the ED changes, it is still more complex than the Pusser's.. It is however starting to resemble the Pusser's a little bit. It is now apparent that no matter how much S&C I add the ED is too different at the core to match the Pusser's. The age on the ED and that fig on the nose/banana on the tongue that is far more prominent than the Pusser's (Pusser's doesn't have fig at all). :roll:

Findings

It is dawning on me now that I should of created a third mix of S&C with small amounts of ED15 being added. I'll do this tomorrow. So in conclusion my objective based on a poor assumption was not realised. I could not really get close enough to the Pusser's profile by merely adding S&C to claim success. There are similarities but not enough of them.

However; YUM!! Try it, trust me.

In juxtaposition Pusser's with merely 1 ml of S&C is over run. It ruins the profile and the S&C dominates. Perhaps a half ml would of been a better start point.

Cheers. :lol:
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

What a man!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What a man!

da' Rum is the man! And my new hero. Seriously, anyone who takes upon himself the challenging task of recreating the world's only real historic rum deserves accolades. We bow to da' Rum man!

All who pass here, do take careful note of this gentleman's journey to the heart of darkness. Note well his goals, his methods, his trials, his failures, and finally.... His success. As I'm sure he will say, he has learned much about the unrecognized high art of blending.

When we think of some of the great blends of this world - Johnny Walker Black, Pusser's Blue Label, any of John Glaser's work, the creations of Richard Sealer, Joy Spence and Jerry Edwards, et al - they represent rare and special talents. Blends can achieve what no single distillation or barrel can: a remarkable combination of aromas and tastes. That these great blenders can maintain a continuity of product is remarkable.

Our hats off to da' Rum for going where few dare to dram!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Are you taking the piss? :D

It's just a fun thing to do and a great way to really pin point some profiles for amatuers like myself.

One thing that is interesting is the effect of time on the blend and on the palate between having a sip. It was noticeable when I added an amount, stirred and then took a sip, I would say 'hey I think I'm getting somewhere' or at least notice a change in the profile. I would then let the dram sit, clear my palate with fresh water and try again 5-10 minutes later only to realised that the change I noticed was re-absorbed by the dominate partner or profile.

This was a good thing because it gave me some hope that in one shape or form I could maybe get the result I was looking for.

I must really emphasise that I did NOT replicate Pusser's!. I was interested to see if a high ester rum mixed with a demeraran could resemble Pusser's. Perhaps with time, money and another liver I could eventually nail it with five or so rums but just to think of the amount of trial and error that would take makes my kidneys kick.

Blending is an interesting thing to do, if you have a few bottles on the shelf you can create an unique and thoroughly pleasing rum.

It would be great to do with a few like minded friends especially to see what mix is favoured and if your thoughts match others.

Cheers.
in goes your eye out