Da'rum's commercial rum blending - Experiment 2

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
da'rum
Minor God

Da'rum's commercial rum blending - Experiment 2

Post by da'rum »

So after my half failure yesterday when trying to get a blend to taste close to Pusser's by adding Smith and Cross to El Dorado 15, I thought that in the interests of thorough research that I should have also had a third glass namely Smith and Cross to which I add El Dorado 15. I realised this too late last night and my palate wasn't to be trusted by that time.

So this afternoon as the wind howled past the window and snow covered everything in sight I thought 'no time like the present'. So...

30 ml S&C diluted with 10 ml water to bring to approx 42% abv
30 ml Pusser's diluted with 20ml water to bring to approx 42%
10 ml El Dorado 15 year
1 syringe

I added 1 ml ED to the SC with very little change to the SC's profile, pungent and fruity - I tasted the Pusser's and thought I really don't think I'm going to succeed here. :(

Phase 2

I then repeated that process 2 more times adding 1 ml ED to the SC giving it a good stir and letting it sit for a few minutes while I had a sip of water and let my palate clear. After 3 ml in total I had noticed a subtle change where the ED started to assert itself a little on the SC but the SC fought hard and retook control. I then thought maybe I was pussy footing around a little too much and started to add ED to the SC in 2 ml increments.

I was doing side by sides with the Pusser's and noticed that the Pusser's has a certain light musty taste to it sort of tailsy but not too bad - not out right wet cardboard but just a hint that is definitely noticeable. The SC with the Ed added failed to have this at which I was thinking I could add ED all day and not achieve that slight profile. :?

However I persisted.

Phase 3

Another 2 ml (7 ml total so far), hold the phone! what's this? The profile started to swing. I thought that maybe I was tricking myself so I washed my mouth out with fresh water drank some more water and had a ten minute pause. Re taste at that ratio, this time I was sure. It started to turn it was still bearing the SC muscle in it a bit but the ED was really pushing in and they were combining well. ALSO that mustiness, that aforementioned profile, was appearing slightly but it was there.

Phase 4

Another 2 ml (now 9 ml in total) and I'm very very very close. It's becoming increasingly difficult to tell them apart. The mustiness is there the SC fruit has taken a back seat and the sweetness that is also at the fore of the Pusser's is now first to present. As I take a sip of both the aroma is in opposition to the taste as is the way of Pusser's.

Findings

They aren't twins and they can be told apart but there are a lot of similarities now. What I've managed to get out of the ED and SC is (for want of a better term) 'more pure' in the Pusser's. The Pusser's is obviously the original and you'd tell mine as the fake but it wasn't my specific goal to create a carbon copy but more to get an idea of ratios of Demeraran style rum to a higher ester rum that I believe is part of the blend. (By the way if anyone from Pusser's happens upon this and thinks I'm full of it, by all means jump in and shatter my illusions. I don't care if I'm incorrect in my assumptions and or findings.)

So in the end I added 1 more ml ED to the SC (10 ml now in total) and I'm more than satisfied that I'm on the right track. Maybe as Jimbo said in another thread, that the ester high rum may be Trinidadian and not from Jamaica but never the less I'm sure this is a very important 2 parts of the Pussers blend and that is a Demeraran (not a big leap there as the stills they feature in their marketing are those from DDL) and a big chunk of high ester rum from who knows where.

I seriously doubt if Pusser's are using 15 year old rum in their blend so maybe a very young Demeraran - if I pick up a bottle of 8 or 5 year Demeraran in the near future I will repeat this experiment.

Final Formula

My end result is a rum 30 ml Smith & Cross + 10 ml water, plus 10 ml El Dorado 15 year - 5 or so sips = a blend very very similar to Pusser's. Very tasty very sippable and a thoroughly enjoyable experiment.

Cheers. :lol:
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks for re arranging my thread into a readable format Jimbo although you make me feel as though my literary skills aren't as brilliant as I'd thought. :oops:

Next phase to come,

add at full strength ED to SC and let marry for a week.

A ratio of 3:1 seems to be a good starting point.

Will report back.

My Smith and Cross is starting to get low so need to re stock.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A public commendation...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

da' Rum rocks!

Sue Sea and I have been doing this a long time now. The Rum Project is a labor of love and we have the highest regard for some of the true greats of rum, many of whom we've met. Richard Seale and Phil Prichard come to mind. We've also recognized some brilliant observers of rum, a number of whom have been so kind to post here, and be recognized here. Let's add another...

da' Rum

This fine gentleman is serious about his spirits and like us, is dedicated to the notions of quality, purity and the art of spirit making. His posted endeavor - posted as "Experiment 1" and "Experiment 2" are must reads for all of us who hope to appreciate rum, but particularly the art of blending. Many of the classic and respected rums are actually blends.

Think Mount Gay Extra Old, Appleton Extra, Ron Matusaelm 15 Year Solera and the like, and of course - Pusser's British Navy Rum, a historically accurate blend of about five rums that together, define the only real remnant of 300 years of British Royal Navy rum.

For da' rum to take on this amazing rum, and to attempt to discover its secrets is beyond admirable. This gentleman is a true explorer and deserves our full attention and respect. Our public thanks and appreciation for an effort we will follow closely...

Cheers and up spirits to a man among men, and uh, among Sue Sea too...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

naw shucks.

I'm just wondering when I can start calling myself a 'mixologist'? :lol:
in goes your eye out