Rum Review: Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserve Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserva Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserve Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserve Rum: "Spicy Eggnog"

Perhaps by now you've run across the Cubaney rums, yet another rum produced by a Cuban family - Oliver and Oliver in the Dominican Republic. As I recall the Cubaney series includes rums of 3, 5, 8, 12, 15, 18, 21 and 25 years. I chose the 8 year pretty much based on price: as an man of ordinary means I was unwilling to spend much more than twenty dollars on a little understood rum.

The Cubaney story is interesting...
In the late 1980’s, one of the later generations of Oliver’s returned to Cuba where his curiosity about the past led him to delve into the family’s history. While poring over the family archives, he discovered the original formulas that had produced rums that were heralded as the world’s best, as well as a few family members that were still engaged in the production of rum on the island, having earned the esteemed title of maestros roneros cubanos, or master Cuban rum makers.

Because it shares the same hot humid climate, the Dominican Republic was chosen as the ideal site for a new production facility. The results of the decades of knowledge, skill, and experience to produce the finest Cuban-style rum in the world, Cubaney rum. Available in Anejo (3 year old), Anejo Reserva ( 5 year old), Solera Reserva ( 8 year old), and Gran Reserva ( 12 year old).

Was my 20 bucks well spent? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
The Cubaney rums come in attractive bottles that are the exact opposite of the squat classic bottles I usually prefer, visually anyway. The label reproduces a lithograph of Havana harbor, circa 1895. Nice. Cubaney 8 Year's initial aroma is a pungent and clear clovey cinnamon, followed by a bit of vanilla, nutmeg and oak. It is quite distinctive. It is light bodied, and the taste is completely consistent with the aroma. Very smooth. The medium finish is just as spicy and very smooth. I liked this rum.

It is not heavy, not thick at all - it has good flavor but is not at all overpowering as you might expect from the initial aroma. Accordingly, I think Cubaney 8 Year would make an interesting gift that will not offend. It remind of eggnog with a cinnamon stick, sprinkled with nutmeg and clove.
Me:

Cubaney 8 Year is an interesting rum and fairly priced. Its color is medium amber with fast, thin legs. This is a rum you could easily identify in a blind tasting - its spicy aroma is unmistakeable, with an aroma of strong clove and cinnamon. I picked up a hint of vanilla, oak and a bit of white pepper. I agree with Sue Sea in re body; the taste is light, with a bit of sweetness and pepper at the late palate. The finish is smooth, lightly peppery, medium/long and leaving a consistent spicy aftertaste.

Cubaney 8 Year Solera Reserva is consistent from start to finish. Its pungent initial aroma is distinct and stakes a claim on the rest of the experience. Fortunately, the taste and finish are less intense and insure that the tasting experience is a pleasant one.

Rating (10 is best): 7.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Ron Cubaney: to be re-reviewed

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Cubaney: to be re-reviewed... things you need to know:

Ron Cubaney is a line of rums that have not really taken off in south Florida and the Keys. That alone says a lot, as we have a huge population of Cubans, Caribbeans, South and Central Americans. If a rum doesn't make it here, it's a loser.

In our view Ron Cubaney has failed for a number of reasons...

1. There is evidence of alteration with at the least, lots of sugar.
2. Until recently they have been overpriced and not widely available
3. They were sold by Albertson's (supermarket) and other less than primo outlets.
4. Oliver & Company, the producers do not distill a drop of rum; instead they purchase bulk from Trinidad, Tobago and Panama. They appear to use a solera system.

Here's a brief listing of just some of the blended rums they bottle:

Cubaney came in:
JC:

3 years white,
5 years Aсejo,
8 years Solere Reserva
12 years gran Reserva
12 Years Elixir del Caribe (Sweet)
12 Years Orangerie (Sweet)
15 years Gran reserva
18 Years Selecto
21 Years Exquisito
25 Years Tesoro
__________________________________________________ ____________

Opthimus

15 years Res laude
18 years cum laude
21 years magna Cum laude
25 years Summa Cum laude
It is the solera production that probably accounts for these many bottlings, as a true solera ages each year insofar as the minor amount of the oldest rum in the blend. For example this year's "15 year solera" will become a 16 year solera next year, and a 17 year old solera the year after that. Yet somehow companies like Ron Matusalem continue to label their soleras "15 year" and "18 year", year after year. That's impossible.

Oliver also created the "Atlantico" and "Vizcaya" rums, both altered in my opinion. Their "master blender" is reported by Pavol Kažimir (at Refined Vices) to spend much time in their small laboratory creating new products, some using honey and caramel. Hmm. Pavol quotes Ricardo Giuliano, the Vizcaya creator as to "what made him create such a rum?

His answer: "I wanted to create a rum how I imagine rum should taste like."

Friends, this is a statement you should read until you get what is really a frank admission. Personally, I have no interest in someone's imagined and created profile as to what it "should" taste like, but rather in how a real, pure and unadulterated rum does taste like. Judging from the entire line of the blends this bottler has invented and that we have tasted, I do not doubt the use of sugar, caramel, honey and spices.

There is not one that we'd ever buy again including Cubaney, Atlantico and the worst insult - Vizcaya. None of these has succeeded in our experienced south Florida marketplace.

Adios, muchachos...

Special Note: The early review above will soon be redone with an eye to this post...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

This is exactly why the regulators need to start getting serious. I posted the other day about the new 'Premium' rum at my regular online shop. It is an Oliver & Oliver potion as well and is being marketed with a grand romantic bullshit backstory and a price tag of 80€.

This kind of wool pulling could not happen if the regulators for our respective countries did a proper job and forced transparency in description and labelling. They don't need to stop it being sold, they just need to force these shonks into giving the true details and contents of their rum and then let customers decide.

The over priced fake premium rums would almost disappear over night and quality would have to be improved.
in goes your eye out