Current Rum Reviews

Alright, alright it's not all that important. But it IS information. Up Spirits!

How large is your rum collection?

1 to 10
15%
11 to 20
8%
21 to 30
23%
31 to 50
23%
51 to 75
23%
76 to 100
No votes
101 to 150
8%
Hi, my name is Ed and I'm an...
No votes

Total votes: 13

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Current Rum Reviews

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Current Rum Reviews!
Note: this was one of our very earliest posts. We now have tasted and reviewed 123 rums, rhums, cachacas, piscos and even one scotch. But almost all are rums, of course. There's a paragraph or two on how to go about learning rum appreciation and building a truly meaningful collection...
I am pleased to note that Sue Sea and I have now reviewed 27 of the world's best rums (rhums for faux French rhum snobs)! What happened to all that rum? Amazing. Still, we have not reviewed all the rums in my modest collection. Still to come:

The black rums: like Black Seal, Black Strap, Navy Rum, and Cohiba
An agricultural comparison: St. James Ambre with Extra Old
The Guatemalans: Zacapa 23 and Ron Botran Solera
The B's: Barcelo Imperial, Bacardi 8 and Brugal Anejo
Some Cheepies: Old Oak Gold and Conch Republic Dark
And maybe: Batuque Cachaca and Matusalem White

Oh my, that's 14 more rums! What hath God, the distillers and my own idiocy wrought? But Sue Sea and I shall perservere. However, this will soon bring us to the next, and most important stage in our mutual rum education...

Replacing rums.

Now replacing rums is indeed the acid test. Even though I have done my level best: providing reference standards, suggested starter collection, et al - you will still likely end up with more rums than you intended. Or should! The label or lovely bottle that sucked you in. A (rare) review by "It's all good" Preacher Ed. A mindboggling hispanic rum chica, with back - and front - like no tomorrow, in a low cut black slinky evening dress who hands you a good taste when you're already three-quarters in the rum-tasting bag.

Yup, all happened to me. And it will to you. But you get a second chance to make good: replacing it - or not - when there's finally just a few shots left. You'll give it a last tasting and decide...

Yay or Nay. Thumbs up or down. It's the acid test.

Will this rum become a part of your replaceable collection or is that it? Now of course there are rhum snobs who end up with collections in the hundreds of rums, er rhums. Way more than any other than the true alcoholic can really enjoy or even keep fresh. Or who just like looking at or displaying the collection to their dinner party friends, and who can afford to do so.

But that's not you, is it? I doubt it. No, this forum is dedicated to the hoi polloi (as referred to by one snob at the Ministry) - the average Joe or Joan. Who wants to enjoy rum from a modest, well chosen, interesting and enjoyable selection...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

Does it add or detract from your score the number of bottles that are blendings in progress... :?: :oops:
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!