Rum Review: Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva Rum (5 is best)?

11%
44%
44%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exlusiva Rum: "Cold Winter's Night"

It was a rather cold evening in Florida, ie less than 70 degrees. In search of a rum or two to taste I decided to pick out two well regarded Venezuelan rums: Pampero and Santa Teresa. But a word of warning - this was one of those nights where emotions, family problems and distractions intrude and nothing tastes good. I'm sure you've had a few of those. Still, I feel obligated to record our impressions, however faulty for the sake of record. Sue Sea and I promise to redo these soon, so check back

After much thought, and for now I have decided to place Aniversario Reserva Exslusiva in the Jamaican style section due to factors that will become apparent. Aniversario has a great presentation in a laced up leather pouch and squat traditional looking bottle with its faux wax seal. Don't touch the seal and you can pretend. The pouch is great for keeping your medicinal herbs or your marbles, lol. It has earned good reviews that suggest this is a great rum with which to introduce Compleat Idiots - new rum drinkers such as myself. Do we agree? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I have to be honest and admit I was not in the best of moods tonight, so please take my words skeptically for now. I am. My primary nosing impression was one of pungent spice - perhaps clove - and an oaky, leathery smell. On reflection and with care and nosing high, I obtained a fleeting citrus note, replaced by a hint of black cherry and raisins. The aroma was nicely reflected in the tastes of spice, smoke and raisins with a medium body. The finish was medium, peppery and warm bordering on hot with a spicy kick and definite afterglow. I find Aniversario spicy and lively all the way from aroma through its spicy hot finish. It is a rum with a kick that will warm you up on a cold winter's eve.
Me:

Sue Sea and I are on the same page with Aniversario. I suggest you nose with care, start high and light, as otherwise this rum can easily overpower. Nosed with care it's much more pleasant. The color is a nice dark amber no doubt courtesy of some extra caramel coloring. Nice legs, but I'd honestly prefer a more natural color. On the other hand the color does reflect its character. I found the aroma pungent and rich, and even with careful nosing I do pick up alcohol. There is a nice sweetness and with care I do pick up a hint of vanilla. The body is medium - the taste reflects the aroma, particularly the spiciness. I pick up some oak or leather. The late palate heads toward a definite astringency and the finish begins. Sue Sea's lively is right on as a spicy, peppery burn develops down the hatch, and leaving a lingering heat in your chest. This rum leaves a definite heavy aftertaste and coating residue in the throat, the kind that makes you want to pick up your water and rinse. A bit much.

In sum I find this rum presents as pungent and spicy, but lacks complexity and subtlety. I particularly dislike the cloying aftertaste.

Ratings (10 is best): Sue Sea - 4, Jimbo - 5

Special Note: Keep in mind we were both in a mood unbecoming good tasting. As I write this review two days later I have been retasting this Pampero and found I enjoyed it more. Accordingly I will raise my score to 6. Unlike some others, I do not see this rum as a good introduction for a new rum drinker: it borders on being too rich, too hot and too challenging. It could accompany a heavy cigar.

Do stay tuned for a retaste with Sue Sea...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Retaste: Pampero Anniversario RE

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pampero Anniversario Reserva Exclusiva Rum : "Boston Legal"

The last time we tasted Anniversario was not a good night. Sue Sea and I, frankly, felt shitty. Still out of devotion to our vast following of budding rum tasters, we did our best. But we recognized our mood, and promised a redo as soon as possible. In other words, when we got around to it, lol. Here goes:

Sue Sea:
Pampero comes in a short, squat dark bottle, with a nice faux wax seal. Very classic. Its color is a darker amber and it is not clear, slightly cloudy. Pampero's first aroma is spicy, followed by a vanilla toffee-mocha. I find clove, and a bit of peppery heat, and leather. Pampero's taste is warm and smokey, peppery clovey. The finish is long and smokey - and leaves a cigar-like coating. I think Anniversario is all about it's enticing aroma.
Me:

Over time we've gotten much better at this, no surprise. We've also had the opportunity to find and study a raft of tasting wheels and descriptors - and are beginning to distinguish aromas and tastes from the distilling or the aging process.

Pampero's primary aroma presented as spicy, with pepper, vanilla and toffee. Wonderful. Its taste was of pepper/cloves, oak and vanilla. Simple but consistent. I found the finish hot and leaving an astringent, clinging aftertaste - the kind that demands a palate-clearing, cold, clear ice water.

At our earlier tasting we found Anniversario quite cloying. No longer. Anniversario is a good slow-sipping rum and would obviously accompany a good cigar - both leaving long and appropriate aftertastes. If you're a fan of "Boston Legal", each show ends with lawyers Denny Crane (William Shatner) and James Spader bonding on Denny's luxurious highrise balcony, feet up, leaning back, enjoying spirits neat and smoking fine cigars, blowing smoke into the heavens...

A perfect time for Pampero Anniversario.

Rating (10 is best)
: 7.
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

I'm in California visiting relatives and splurged a little ($34.00) on this one. I'll have to say this rum is right up my alley. Sweet but not too sweet. Nice aftertaste. It's close to ElDorado 15, my current favorite.
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

This could be funny...I'll try to keep it short which sometimes is an issue for me.

I revisited the Pampero last night (keep wanting to call it Pampano and even Pompano). Opened it about 4 or 5 years ago for my brother-in-law and I to have a drink. Not touched since. Could not figure out the smell. First impression was ripe fruit, nice. I would sniff it before each sip. That seemed to change to sweet, not overly, spices. Nothing cloying or overbearing for me.

Taste was warm, spicy warm, good warm on lips, tongue, throat and tummy. Other than a pleasant mild sweetness I sometimes sensed a taste in the back of my tongue/throat that maybe was cinnamon(?).

Beware my smell and taste profile are different, way different.
Followup: I had a glass the following evening and could not add anything to prior comments, other than it was consistent 2 days in a row.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

After restudying the top shelf of our rum section ( no need to look I know it by heart, but still gaze in wonderment at it all) I decided my Christmas bottle was going to the the Ron Anejo Pampero Aniversario. it is priced on the shelf at 29.99, but for Mike it was free. The boss is happy to reward us for busting our asses over the holiday season. I have not had it some years. I recalled liking it way back when.

Once I got the bottle out of the stupid ass leather bag I noticed the very dark color. It is pretty much as dark as cola. I like how the bottle is sealed and enjoy struggling to grab hold of the pull tab. I got it open and as usual took a pull straight from the bottle.

The spirit settled warmly on my tongue and as I swallowed I found no burn to mention just a nice warmth spreading from within. It is rich in flavor, with medium to heavy body for a sipping rum. It has vanilla and caramel tones on the front end and very satisfying molasses flavor on the finish. Maybe a touch of dark fruit on the end as well.

My sinuses are in bad shape today and I am sure I am missing out on the nose of this fine rum. While I like it and give it a 4 out of 5 stars what I don't drink tonight will get hidden in my bar and saved for a very rainy day.

I like it a lot but it will not displace Appleton V/X or even Special as my daily driver.

And, maybe Jimbo can further advise, I am not sure why this is classified as a Jamaican rum. It is similar to other mainland rums I have tasted and maybe those all deserve their own category. I get no ocean feel from it unlike Appleton and even lowly Bacardi. Island rums let me close my eyes and imagine the beach, palm trees and girls in sling back bikinis.
Rums such as Pampero and Abuelo more remind me of a steak house or sitting on a ranch deck shooting some .22's. ( if that makes any sense.)

At any rate, enjoy this fine rum, it is damn good stuff.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Mike is absolutely right...

It is not a Jamaican style rum. This was one of very first reviews, and I'd meant to reclassify it, but it turned out to one of things "I'll do real soon, honest". You know, like when you're partner nags you about something you promised. But Mike is exactly right. So allow me to call on our faithful and competent posters - what style do you think it is?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

no traction it appears.

I am not sure this rum fits any existing catagory.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Can't comment, haven't tried it. Hang on, I just commented.

So, I can comment but still haven't tried it.
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I'm going to be brave and take a stab at this one even though I've not had this rum in about 6 months. I've gone through 2 bottles in the past year or so and would say that it's Demerara with some hints of Jamaica.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

To me, Pampero is a typical Hispanic style rum.