Review: Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron del Barrilito Two Star Rum

Truth be told, we tasted and reviewed this rum years ago, but somehow never published the review. It is re-reviewed here. To begin our Barrilito Two Star is bottled at 43% and was delivered in a totally authentic, classic and simple bottle and simple label no doubt used for most of the last one hundred years. The rum is very popular in Puerto Rico. The family admits unlabeled flavoring. The Two Star is three years old and a very light, sunshine yellow, clearly no E-150 here, clear but not brilliant and with thin, fast legs.

Sue Sea:
A very pleasant rum with an old fashioned bottle and presentation that shouts out authenticity. You can be sure that no marketing department ever got their conniving hands on this one. Don't get me wrong, I do love rich and heavy designs, but as Ralfy has so well said - it's what in the bottle that counts. So true.

The Two Star presents as a pleasant honey-cinnamon, leather, a lemony orange, and a bit of vanillin. Simple, light, and fresh. If you are from the deep south or sub-tropics you may be familiar with a wonderful flowering plant called a frangipans - with a lovely, honeylike aroma.

The Two Stars' early palate was a light honey, but without the texture. Rather it was slightly oily (not creamy). Think a very light olive oil. In the midpalate the spices emerges (as happens with most rums), in this case a consistent cinnamon, and later adding ginger and white pepper. The Cuban style finish was a nice glowing white pepper, almost similar to a light horseradish effect. It ended still fresh but hot. Very nice.

The Ron del Barrilto Two Star was light and delicious, very Cuban and mild from start to its white pepper finish. I believe this rum would be lovely at a cocktail party for its easy and pleasant drinking.
Me: Sue Sea omitted a minor detail: the Two Star carries a silver label, while the older Three Star is gold. Remember too, both were bottled at 43%, so a slight alcohol prickle may be evident with deep nosing. For Sue Sea, the Two Star opened as honey over cinnamon, for me it was cinnamon over honey, with new leather, simple and pleasantly enticing. The palate was entirely consistent, with a light body, and carried smoothly with growing heat to a sweet and black pepper, short but very Cuban style finish. FYI, the pepper finishes in rums range from the "sweeter" like clove, to black pepper (still a little flavor), to white (pure prickles of pure heat). When a rum has an inherent sweetness with a white pepper finish, it's certainly possible to interpret that as a black pepper finish (a combination). Capish?

Score (ten is best): 7