Absinthe and Rum similarly afflicted

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
da'rum
Minor God

Absinthe and Rum similarly afflicted

Post by da'rum »

I love Absinthe and it, like rum, varies in profile depending on the region it was distilled in. This is due to the herbs used and method of distillation.

Absinthe is a fine distilled spirit that has a really really bad reputation. This is because of two main reasons, one of them it shares with rum.

The first is it's history.

Absinthe was invented in it's basic form as a medicine, a sort of tonic for stomach ailments, but was adjusted and refined to the spirit of the pre ban era and further adjusted to the spirit today. A type of the semi original form was given to French troops as a defence against Malaria. The troops brought it home with them and the drink became increasingly popular in cafe's and bars.
Because of this growing popularity absinthe was starting to effect the huge profits and market dominance of the wine industry, which meant trouble. During the mid to late 19th century the vineyards of Europe (mainly France) suffered a blight of the grapes which effectively halted production of wine for an extended period. Absinthe filled the void in the market with aplomb. When the vineyards recovered the wine industry wanted their market back and nothing was going to stop them.

The wine industry started a campaign of misinformation and reputation sabotage using nut bag religious freaks as their foot soldiers. Alcoholism was misinterpreted as poisoning or drugging by the main ingredient of Absinthe (Absinthe artemisia) or more specifically the chemical found in Aa Thujon.

Absinthe was labelled as the devils drink. The death knell for absinthe was after one specific incident in Switzerland. A Swiss farmer and rampant alco went on a bender drinking copious amounts of Brandy, wine, and topping it all off with Absinthe killed his entire family and then attempted suicide. The blame landed squarely on Absinthe's shoulders and was subsequently banned.

The ban spread across Europe and eventually to America.

Funnily or tragically enough Thujon is not hallucinogenic nor is it a drug. Thujon IS however a neurotoxin but must be taken in a pure concentrated form to have even the slightest effects on humans. The levels of Thujon in pre-ban Absinthe were at most about 200 parts per million, the levels of Thujon in post-ban Absinthe is by law no more than 10 parts per million in America and 35 parts per million in Europe. So in other words negligible amounts.

So that takes care of the historic bad reputation, now onto the reason why Absinthe has a bad rep today and it's similarity to rum-

There is nothing in the law to say that Absinthe must be made a certain way or use certain ingredients to call itself Absinthe. Therefore anyone can make any old shit and call it absinthe. There are some fantastic authentic Absinthes on the market with America producing a few brilliant examples of Authentic 'american style' Absinthe. France and Switzerland are the main players who do produce the best of the best and nearly anything out of the Czech republic being fake and terrible.

This lack in definition by law leads to Absinthe copping a bad rep due to all the fake and horrible concoctions that dominate the market. For every authentic absinthe there is probably 2 or 3 bad ones.

I realise that there ARE legal definitions and standards for rum but as we know they aren't enforced and rum suffers terribly for it.

Absinthe and Rum both need the hard controls that Whiskey, wine and Champaign have. Without the controls the unscrupulous will always cut corners and produce rubbish.

Capn's Log: I would like to take a moment to publicly acknowledge this post which is credible and informs. This is why The Rum Project exists, to provide a good resource of good information posted by good people. Thank you da'rum.
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

Recommendations?

Post by bearmark »

Very interesting and greatly appreciated! Now, how about some recommendations for a reasonably priced and good absinthe? I've tasted 3 different ones, but it would be nice to have some reference. Also, can you describe how absinthe should be consumed? I've heard that there is an art to it all and, if you're knowledgeable, then I'd really like a quick lesson. Thanks in advance for the reply!
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Count me in with the Bear...

I know naught from absinthe, but have a few questions:

1. Do you think it's worth trying? Why? How does it affect you? What distinguishes it as a spirit?

2. Here's what's available at Total Wine:

Mephisto Absinthe
Complex, Refined, Herb
Austria- Distilled based on an original 1909 recipe Mephisto Absinthe includes grand wormwood, sage, and fennel, along with other natural herbs. When added to water and ice its louche-effect creates a wonderful opal green cloudiness. $30

Lucid Absinthe Superieure
US - Lucid is crafted directly from select whole herbs, including Grande Wormwood, and never from cheaper assemblages, macerations, extracts or oils. Lucid is distilled by world renowned Absinthe distiller T.A. Breaux at the historic Combier distillery in Saumur, France. $55

Kubler Absinthe
Switzerland, In keeping with the local tradition of clandestine La Bleue, it is crystal clear, has no added sugar. It is very aromatic and has a deep white louche. This absinthe is already the best-seller in Switzerland. $50

St George Absinthe Verte
USA-Made with fine brandy, star anise, mint, wormwood, lemon balm, hyssop, meadowsweet, basil, fennel, tarragon and stinging nettles. This infamous liquor reveals seductive flavors of anise complimented with sweet grassy tones, light citrus, white pepper, and light menthol notes. $60

Parnasse Absinth Superiore
Complex, Refined, Herb
Italy- The Parnassiens were a group of 19th century French poets. Their drink of choice was absinth, and this recipe seeks to recreate the spirit. An intensely anise and fennel-flavored liquor prepared in the traditional method with contact of herbs and clear distillate. $13

Pernod 68 Aux Extrait d'Absinthe
95 Wine Enthusiast
France- Aromas of licorice that are dry, spicy, herbal and vegetal. Palate entry is dry at first; midpalate features the anise, but also nicely salty tastes of mace and sage that overlap with the mineral, concrete aspect. Finishes bitter and herbal. SUPERB/HIGHLY RECOMMENDED $68

Mansinthe by Marilyn Manson
Switzerland- Mansinthe is a natural absinthe, distilled from vermouth, aniseed, fennel and other fine herbs. The product is made without pre-sweetening or the use of artificial flavorings to insure the highest quality possible - appeals to absinthe lovers and novices alike. $57

A local chain (Crown) has Absente ($40), Lucid Superiere ($60), and Grand Absente ($60).

d... we await...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Per (and credit to) BTI:
95 • Amerique 1912 Absinthe Rouge $30/375 ml.

Beautiful platinum fuschia color. Bold aromas of meringue, dried flowers, white macadamia gelato, and anise cookie with a vibrant dry-yet-fruity full body and a long warming fennel and white pepper finish. Layered and stylish. Tasted Louched: pretty pink pearl color; rounds out brilliantly when louched with spicy hibiscus notes emerging. (tasted on Nov-23-2010)

94 • Mythe Absinthe Traditional $59.99.

Brilliant deep olive green color. Powerful aromas of fennel, mint leaf, peppery spice and custard follow through with great intensity to a dryish full body with prominent herbal bark, wormwood, hay, and dusty anise seed notes. Finishes with a long, drying wormwood, and fennel stalk fade with wheat flour like tannins. Louches to a translucent green haze with all of the anise and herbal flavors and a fine, and more liqueur like balance and great length. An excellent traditional European style, digestif absinthe. (tasted on Sep-23-2009)

94 • Amerique 1912 Absinthe Verte $30/375 ml.

Bright green yellow olive oil color. Rich aromas of anise cookie, fennel, and straw with vibrant fruity-yet-dry full body and a rich, lingering and warm finish. Excellent purity and depth. Tasted Louched: Louches well and spiciness intensifies with more emphasis on the bitter root and hay-like wormwood notes. (tasted on Nov-23-2010)

93 • La Sorciére Bleue Absinthe Supérieure $40/375 ml.

Deep golden amber color. Bright aromas of anise cookie, toasted meringue, sweet grass, and pink peppercorns with a silky, dryish full body and a rich, warming, sassafras, dried fruit, wet chalk, hot pepper, medicinal bark and grilled fennel driven finish. A husky, powerfully flavorful absinthe that louches and rounds out superbly with water. (tasted on Nov-29-2011)

92 • Kübler Absinthe Superieure $49.99/L.

Brightly clear. Vibrant star anise, straw and delicate white chocolate aromas with a supple, moderately sweet medium-full body and a long, warming and black licorice and pepper finish. Tasted Louched: Milky louche, rounds out nicely with water with grassy hay notes accented. A very well made absinthe. (tasted on Oct-04-2012)

90 • La Sorciére Verte Absinthe Supérieure $40/375 ml.

Clear with a faint platinum blue cast. Rich aromas of anise, grilled fennel, hay, herbs, and peppercorns with an mildly sweet medium-full body and a long, hot, and bitter bark, straw, and licorice finish. A precise, vibrant absinthe that is very pleasant with a touch of water. (tasted on Nov-29-2011)

89 • Sirene Absinthe Verte $59.95.

Brilliant olive green topaz color. Very interesting aromas of leafy herbs and mint, fennel, sarsaparilla, wormwood tea, and dried mango follow through on a vibrant, direct entry to a off-dry and slightly fruity medium-full body with black licorice and anise cookie powder notes on the clean, mineral accented fade. Louches well with fruit and raisin notes emerging with a lighter tea-like note. (tasted on Sep-23-2009)
88 • Vieux Carré Absinthe Superieure $59.

Deep olive green color with with an unusual suspension of minute charcoal gray particles. Aromas of crushed anise seed, chamomile tea, eucalyptus honey, and sweet pickle relish follow through on a bold, slightly chalky entry to a off-dry full body with good intensity and balance. Finishes with a long, anise, herb, and wet chalk fade. Louches to a translucent hazy green dust storm in a glass where more woodsy, wormwood notes rise and the texture smoothes out with dusty black licorice notes. Very pleasant as a cocktail. (tasted on Sep-23-2009)

87 • Edward III Modern Absinthe $42.99/375 ml.

Clear. Spicy fruit cake like aromas with only a touch of anise cookie with a soft, dryish light body and a bold wave of peppery heat, anise seed, hay, and chalk on the long finish. Tasted Louched: pearly louche with nut bread and medicinal herb notes accentuated. (tasted on Oct-04-2012)
86 • Tamborine Mountain Distillery Moulin Rooz Absinthe $68/500 ml.
Emerald green color. Fennel, mint, and spicy bbq rub aromas with a supple dry full body and a complex potting soil, wormwood, fennel leaf, and nettle driven finish with lots of heat. Tasted Louched: Light hazy louche but water brings out menthol mint, charcoal, and spiced tropical fruit nuances. Engagingly different. Will make for unique cocktails. (tasted on Oct-04-2012)
(Credit: http://Tastings.com)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Absinthe is best consumed with ice cold water and sugar to taste. I say sugar to taste because,like rum, most Absinthe enthusiasts do away with the sweetness after getting acquainted with the spirit.

A measure of absinthe with the very slow addition of ice cold water to about a ratio of 3-5:1 so that's 3 to 5 parts water to 1 part Absinthe. Some Absinthes are better at 3 parts water some at 5 and some somewhere in between. If you would prefer sugar then use sugar syrup or drip water over a sugar cube.

Never ever set your Absinthe on fire, never ever set your sugar cube on fire.The result will be destruction of your absinthe and taste buds for an hour.

So recommendations;

On cap'n first list

Mephisto- don't bother

Lucid- A common starter Absinthe of middle to low quality with some glaring flaws in it's profile

Kubler-see Lucid

St George- experimental Absinthe totally untraditional, the guy who makes it is a cool guy who has the genuine interest in making something unique and wonderful. To date he hasn't achieved his goals. Plus it's drawing a long bow to call St George true Absinthe.

Pernod - skip it until later, more pastis than Absinthe

And finally the pick of the bunch, yes believe it or not Mansinthe is a very good Absinthe. It is made by Oliver Matter and is up there with the better absinthes available today.

As for the bti list, burn it and wipe it from your memory. That list is terrible.

So I'll list a few from each region and style that I would buy.

America
Meadow of Love
Walton Waters
http://www.delawarephoenix.com/
They are America's finest commercial Absinthe distillers.

Butterfly Absinthe
A remake of a pre ban Absinthe, a very good effort
http://www.butterflyabsinthe.com/

France
Absinthe Vieux Pontarlier- one of my favourites
Absinthe Sauvage- my absolute favourite but hard to come by and very expensive.

For Absinthe Blanche (uncoloured and less anise)
try
Combier 'Blanchette' it's lovely.

Swiss
Brevans AO Spare
Brevans HR Giger
Both superb Absinthes, really brilliant creations.

Duplais Verte and Blanche are also very very good Absinthes.

Those who know Absinthe would recognise that I have left The Jade line out. I have done this intentionally because they are overpriced and not to be recommended to those who wish to try some good Absinthe.

I'll just add here a couple of brands that are rare but if you stumble across a bottle then snap it up post haste.

L'ancianne Absinthe
L'Italienne

This list is small and inadequate but I hope it helps.

Cheers
Last edited by da'rum on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

1. Do you think it's worth trying? Why? How does it affect you? What distinguishes it as a spirit?

Yes definitely worth trying.

It's effects are that it makes you drunk. ;) It may have an invigorating effect from the herbs used but then alcohol is a depressant so if anything it would have a push me pull you effect, but to be honest it's negligent.

It is very unique as a spirit as it's a finely matched herbal flavour deliverer. It is more akin to wine than to Rum or Whiskey. A bad Absinthe will be dominated by anise but a good Absinthe will have a great combination of Anise, caraway, melissa, wormwood, fennel. There are many other different herbs in different Absinthes but those listed are pretty common.

It is a mood drink and one not for all occasions but worth having a few bottles in the cabinet to enjoy when the mood takes you. A glass on a lawn chair in summer is pretty hard to beat.
in goes your eye out
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to try absinthe for a while. Here are some questions:

Is there any added sugar to the absinthe?

Absinthe available locally: Lucid Abinthe, Mata Hari Absinthe Bohemia, and La Fee Absinth Verte.

Are any of these decent, or should I hold off until I get out of state?
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Hi Jankdc

Here's the answers to your questions,

1) No there isn't any added sugar to real absinthe, although fake absinthe could have anything in it.

Absinthe is made by macerating herbs in alcohol and then distilling. The alcohol base comes from different sources resulting in arguably differing products.

The sources are traditionally

Sugarwash: fermented sugar based wash distilled to neutral 95.6% abv
Grain neutral wash: self explanatory
Wine base: distilled wine to neutral or slightly less than neutral 85-95.6% abv

Grain Neutral and wine base are thought to be superior to sugar washes but in my experience great absinthe can be made with a sugar wash base but care must be taken.

As for your choices..........Lucid is just barely acceptable but not very good and may turn you off Absinthe before you try the really good stuff. The other two are Rubbish, don't bother with them.

A good rule of thumb is if Absinthe is spelled without the 'e' eg; ABSINTH, don't buy it. Fake and poor Absinthe is often spelled without the 'e' (mainly because most of the crap comes out of eastern Europe and Germany and that's how they spell it).

So wait until you're out of state and get yourself a bottle.
in goes your eye out