Apologies for my spam filter

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Dai
Minor God

Apologies for my spam filter

Post by Dai »

Just like to apologise for my spam filter other wise would have joined the forum weeks ago. I hope you guy's are a bit more open minded than the Ministry Of Rum I just got banned from there for supporting the thread on usvi tax robbery and screwing the Caribbean rum rip off.

Look forward to having some good exchanges on all issues rum.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome!

But are you sure you're not me? After the Preacher's pronouncement, I now fear that I am actually everybody else, evil and solely accountable for just about everything. About rum that is, lol.

Really, ya gotta have a sense of humour, eh? As for the Shillery and as so well put by Groucho Marx, I refuse to be a member of any club that would have me - or you - who may be me - for a member...

Welcome - there are some really incredible talents here. And of course, they are all me...
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Welcome. This is a good place to talk about rum. We are kind of against that whole USVI/Diageo agreement here. : )
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Gday Dai, welcome. You'll learn more about rum here just reading the backlog of threads than you ever would at the mad promoters website.
Enjoy the site.

1% of us are real here.

Capn's Log: that's funny! If I must say so myself, to myself. Or something like that. Would a sane and rational poster please stop me when I've worn this out? Assuming there are any left...
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Yes sure I'm not you and, I have been reading the thread on USVI/Puerto Rico rip off, a very interesting thread. I didn't know about the $13.50 tax slipped in the fiscal cliff budget. That's really going to hurt the Caribbean rum producers.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai, there is a HUGE thread here dedicated to the petition which is plenty enough I'm sure. The $13.50 has been around for many, many years and is not new at all. But as the Big Three starting taking over in the last few years, it started to amount to hundreds of millions.

The Caribbean rums were bleeding, but managed to (barely) surivive. What's new are the USVI subsidies - a massive big chunk - amounting to nearly $4 Billion dollars. Diageo actually gets back twice what it costs to make the rum. They get subsidized for 30 years, renewable for another 30 years. Deals were struck that allows Diageo and Fortune to also buy molasses for 16 cents/gallon (the Carib distillers pay around $2/gallon).

The much smaller Caribbean distillers simply cannot compete. It was one thing when the annual growth and rebated taxes (to the USVI/PR) was slow but it was still death by a thousand cuts. What's happening now is the real elephant in the room - a mad rogue who is now charging and will quickly trample the small distillers of the Caribbean.

It will not be pretty, and it will not take all that long. Some will go out of business. Others will cheapen the product (already happening). Some will just lie down and sell out to Diageo who will use and abuse their capabilities (these will be the larger Caribs).

Bad deal. And with the rum promoters acting as though it's just a rain day and rum school will be back in session tomorrow...