Reader's Review: Ron Mulata 7 Year Old

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!
Dai
Minor God

Reader's Review: Ron Mulata 7 Year Old

Post by Dai »

Bought my self a bottle of Ron Mulata 7 in the local German supermarket (Aldi) they have had this since just before Christmas last few bottles left.

No it's not a sipper, well not tried sipping it but, having it with a ginger ale at the moment. Sort of sweet creamy taste can't quite put my finger on it but compared to the two dish water (captain morgan, two year old bottle had on the shelf) rum and ginger's I finished earlier this is heaven a very nice mixer indeed. I think I'm going to brave some rough tongue off the missus and get another bottle of this next week.

Capn's Log: We'll be looking forward to some tasting notes, thanks for the post.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Just having a second crack at this rum neat what a nice little rum. A bit rough but with an ice cube you could use it as a sipper if pushed. Quite a nice little rum. makes a great mixer.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Do you mean it has an alcohol bite or that there are some sharp flavours that would be better dulled?

I take it it is bottled at 40% have you tried just adding a teaspoon or two of water to smooth it out and also perhaps bring out some hidden flavours?
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Do you mean it has an alcohol bite or that there are some sharp flavours that would be better dulled?

I take it it is bottled at 40% have you tried just adding a teaspoon or two of water to smooth it out and also perhaps bring out some hidden flavours?
A bit of alcohol bite to it and yes I use a teaspoon of water to smooth it out that's why I suggested the ice cube. says on the bottle 38% but when mixed this is a moot point.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I only asked the abv because at 40% there is very little room to manoeuvre when diluting. At 38% there is even less. The smallest amount of water at these abv levels can completely ruin the profile with over dilution.

I suppose, since you did try water and ended up with an ice cube then that's about your options for an enjoyable straight dram exhausted.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A lively discussion ensued...

Dai, thanks much for your post. It may be too soon to ask, but the Project is based on Dave Brooms basic stlyles of rum, rather than the relatively meaningless commercial categories of white, gold, aged, etc. The real test of a true category is that a blind taster ought to be able to classify the rum. Only Broom's observation does that.

A good taster can easily distinguish under which style a rum ought to be placed: Barbadian, Jamaican, Demerarn, Cane Juice or Cuban style. Mind you these do not designate country of origin, as rums of a particular sytle can and are made in multiple countries.

If you go to each section you should find an announcement or a "sticky" that tries to explain that style and it's section. Perhaps later you can tell us what style you think this rum is, and then we can move your post there.

Again, thanks ever so much for your post, and remember we are all one - literally according to the Preacher, lol... Nice talking to you, er me...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:A lively discussion ensued...

Dai, thanks much for your post. It may be too soon to ask, but the Project is based on Dave Brooms basic stlyles of rum, rather than the relatively meaningless commercial categories of white, gold, aged, etc. The real test of a true category is that a blind taster ought to be able to classify the rum. Only Broom's observation does that.

A good taster can easily distinguish under which style a rum ought to be placed: Barbadian, Jamaican, Demerarn, Cane Juice or Cuban style. Mind you these do not designate country of origin, as rums of a particular sytle can and are made in multiple countries.

If you go to each section you should find an announcement or a "sticky" that tries to explain that style and it's section. Perhaps later you can tell us what style you think this rum is, and then we can move your post there.

Again, thanks ever so much for your post, and remember we are all one - literally according to the Preacher, lol... Nice talking to you, er me...
Cuban says so on the bottle. That's about as good as my taste buds run.