Everyday coffee: what's it all about?

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Everyday coffee: what's it all about?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

OK, I'm gonna start...

Most of us start our days in similar ways: we buy ground coffee at the food store, and run it through a Mr. Coffee drip machine. Some of us buy whole beans in the same place place and run it through the grinder there too. In our case we stick with Columbia Supremo, on the recommendation of my roaster inventor/manufacturer grandfather. The one we found most pleasant is usually available for $5 to $6 for 10 or 11 oz., Don Francisco brand, ground Columbian Supremo, sold in a can. A Columbian friend of mine likes it as well.

Some of my questions
:

1. What are we really getting?

2. Are any of these coffees any good?

3. What are we missing?

Sleepy thanks for your views...
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Let me hit a few high points in response:

1) What are we getting? Read the label - if it does not otherwise specify, the origin is most likely lower elevations in Brazil, with, maybe, additional bits from Columbia, Central America and Africa. For the most part cheap coffee is exploitative coffee - farms are clear-cut for faster maturation in open sunlight, fields are fertilized and pesticides widely used. Farmers and workers are paid nearly nothing and only the middlemen are getting rich.

LOOK FOR: Fair Trade and Organic (shade grown non-organic is still better that megafarm products.) labeling. Origin labeling is also very useful. Somewhat more expensive, FAR better socially and economically for origin locales. I try never to buy non-fair-trade coffee - would like to for chocolate, but that is still tough.

2) Are any of these coffees any good? Sure - I still like Chock Full o' Nuts and in a pinch, Martinson's (I think that's the blue can w/ yellow stripe.) I'm sure that there a lot of others.

Just a note on packaging: Coffee begins losing flavor very soon after roasting, and by about 4 weeks, has probably lost much of origin quality. The loss is faster for ground coffee.

BUT, vacuum-packing works! Ground coffee in vacuum cans (or bags) for a few days, will be far more fresh than the whole beans that have been sitting in the grocer's bins for 3 months!

3) What are we missing? BREWING THE COFFEE!

a) if you use an automatic coffee brewer, e.g. Mr Coffee, especially if it has a keep-warn burner, you probably haven't tasted proper coffee. The water should be at least 190 degrees when it hits the grounds - this is critical! So get a thermometer in the filter basket. I had a fairly expensive Braun in my office that maxed at 160 - I replaced it with a $5 Melitta single cup cone and a hot-pot - dramatic improvement.

There are very few automatic brewers that get to proper temperature - I use a $150 Capresso with a thermal carafe and no burner below the carafe. The cheap solution is a Melitta pot and cone and a kettle - guaranteed great coffee!

French presses can be great, but proper grinding for them can be challenging, unless you prefer a muddier cup.

b) Get a good thermos! Warm the thermos with hot water, then pour in your fresh-brewed coffee - never again will you have burned coffee (unless you bought French Roast :) )

That's enough for now!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Excellent!

Great stuff. I tested my Jimbo Special Edition Mr. Coffee (which does not have a heated plate, but the coffee is collected in its thermal insulated SS, glass-lined pot. The water comes out of the nozzle at 183 to 186 degrees. I suppose this will do for now. And the insulated SS/glass-lined pot that come with it, though I'll be sure to pre-heat the pot, thanks.

My order for a Whirly and a Krups one-touch oval grinder will be $42 delivered, free shipping. Next up: find some cheepo beans. Sleepy, thanks, a great learning experience...

Capn's Log - Follow-Up: I ran Senor Coffee again but with your suggested changes. Using cold or cool water I got about 180 degrees slowly increasing to 185, and collected at 176 degrees in the insulated pot. Then I ran hot water out of the faucet into the insulated pot, let it sit for a minute, then poured it into the coffeemaker.

Preheating the pot with hot tap water, and then this through the coffeemaker came out at 190 deg, slowly increasing to 195 degrees, and collected at a final 177 degrees in the insulated pot. BTW the Mr. Coffe is a couple years old, Model DRTX 85, 10 cup, common coffeemaker, with insulated pot, no heating pad, simple timer which we don't use. About $25 as I recall.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Great deal - they must have actually responded to criticism! That is very close to good and probably well above the market average performance of a few years ago!

(BTW - "good" in Sleepy-speak is high praise - professional curmudgeon here!)
bearmark
Beermeister

Espresso

Post by bearmark »

If you really want to taste the full flavor of coffee, then use the espresso brewing method. My recommendations are:
  • Use a burr grinder to get a consistent and fine grind,
    Use a pump driven espresso machine... boiler machines just burn the coffee,
    As Sleepy says, make sure that it brews at the right temperature (195-205 °F),
    Use about 1 oz. of water per shot during the brew (no more than 2.5 oz.)
    Dilute coffee with water just off of a boil to the desired strength.
Europeans call this an Americano when it's diluted to the strength of American drip coffee. I prefer a 2-2.5 oz. (long) pull of espresso to make a European style coffee like you'll find in Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc.

I used to use a manual pump machine (not the lever pull type, which are very expensive, but the electric machine where you turn the pump on/off manually), but I now have an automatic espresso machine that makes the wife much happier. :wink: It heats up before we wake in the morning so that we can just place the cup underneath the brew head and press a button for a near perfect doppio espresso. The machine grinds, measures, brews and discards the espresso "puck," among other wizardry. 8)

If I can't get an espresso brew, I always prefer pressed coffee over drip, although you should be careful to decant pressed coffee to avoid the bitterness of the grounds.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Interesting thoughts Mark, although I will differ on a few points.

I agree that espresso extraction is an excellent method, especially for a coffee which is roasted and blended for that purpose (and no, that does not necessarily mean a very dark roast). I love the richness and mouth feel of a good espresso. But, I find that it is a poor method for the more delicate African, central American and Island coffees, even when diluted. To me, it seems to overpower the subtle floral and light spice tones that I love in those coffees. Press brewing carries through more of the "bass notes" of coffee character and can brew an exceptionally well rounded cup, but at the cost of a certain grittiness - even when using a mill grinder to minimize the "fines". Again, it is ideal for some coffees and palates.

I use each three methods of brewing (no room left in the kitchen for a vacuum brewer) and I choose the method for a given batch based on the coffee and my mood: drip, press or espresso.

One thing that I failed to mention above - I strongly recommend filtering water for coffee - just to clear those minor funky notes out of urban tap water. I use a Brita.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Clearly I am way out of my league here...

But I live up to my designation as the Compleat Idiot of Rum, nicht vahr. So do allow a stoopid question or two and remember, I defined cheep, er inexpensive...

1. As far as what you call the "press" and "expresso" method, to what equipment do you refer?

2. I mentioned to you that I plan to buy some Columbian beans, but I wonder what would you consider a "starter selection" of reasonably priced beans (like the starter selection of reference rums of the five basic styles)?

Gracias...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Tell ya what - later, I'll start threads on brewing covering the several methods for extracting a drinkable coffee beverage from ground, roasted beans. I'll start to cover the varieties and orgins in a separate thread - in any detail, that'd be a thick book! Fair warning - asking for a starter selection of coffees is like asking for a starter selection of wines - it's too huge a world, but I'll try to give you a good range.
bearmark
Beermeister

Press vs. Espresso

Post by bearmark »

French Press

"Pressing" refers to the use of a French Press and is a method of brewing coffee:
Wikipedia wrote:A French press requires coffee of a coarser grind than does a drip brew coffee filter, as finer grounds will seep through the press filter and into the coffee. Coffee is brewed by placing the coffee and hot water together, stirring it and leaving to brew for a few minutes, then pressing the plunger to trap the coffee grounds at the bottom of the beaker.
The great thing about a press is that you can make great coffee anywhere that you can get hot water. This is how I like to make coffee whenever I'm traveling, even when camping.

Espresso

According to Wikipedia:
Espresso is both a coffee beverage and a brewing method. It is not a specific bean, bean blend, or roast level. Any bean or roasting level can be used to produce authentic espresso. For example, in southern Italy, a darker roast is generally preferred. Farther north, the trend moves toward slightly lighter roasts, while outside Italy, a wide range is popular.
Here we're referring to the method, although the references to bean, blend and roast are also pertinent. The method of brewing espresso or "pulling a shot" of espresso is as follows:
Wikipedia wrote:Espresso is made by forcing very hot water under high pressure through finely ground, compacted coffee. Tamping down the coffee promotes the water's even penetration of the grounds. This process produces an almost syrupy beverage by extracting both solid and dissolved components. It also produces the definitive crema, by emulsifying the oils in the ground coffee into a colloid, which does not occur in other brewing methods.
As I said before, it's important that the pressure be provided via pump rather than steam in order to maintain consistent pressure and temperature. Steam driven espresso doesn't have the important crema characteristic of a good espresso and tastes bitter and burnt. With all deference to Sleepy, I brew any good coffee using this method and use the resulting espresso to make several different drinks:
  • Espresso - pull of about 1 oz. (solo) or two pulls (doppio)
    Ristretto - short pull, about 1/2 oz.,
    Americano - espresso and hot water (usually 5 parts or more),
    European Coffee - long pull to produce about 2-3 oz. of coffee,
    Latte - espresso and steamed milk, usually topped with a dollop of milk foam,
    Cappuccino - espresso with equal parts of steamed milk and milk foam.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks to all...

Based on the wonderful advice offered, I've ended up with this for starters:

1. A Whirly-Pop roaster

2. An oval Krups blade grinder (I know), which will work until I win a bid on an Hairo adjustable ceramic hand grinder (just lost one).

3. 5 pounds of Columbia Supremo from Coffee Bean Direct (http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/) for $7.65 delivered in a burlap bag.

4. An Aeroplus press kit including 350 filters for $25.95 delivered.

Ya gotta walk before you run. I was sorely tempted to buy some of Sweet Maria's Columbians - which sounded absolutely heavenly - but didn't feel I was ready for them. I plan to experiment with a coffee I know - Columbia Supremo - and first learn about roasting and to be able to produce a desired level of roast.

More anon... and thanks again.
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

I have suddenly gotten swamped, so will delay in starting major threads.

It sounds like you are making a great start Jimbo - let me know how the aeropress works out - they seem very cool and are a "new" extraction method.

As far as a sampler goes, I'll suggest a range of origins,I would suggest a mix of 1) Columbian/Ecuadorian - generally mild, tropical floral, milk chocolate as it cools - but some occasional more powerful beans - especially bourbons; 2) a Central American - maybe a Costa Rican for delicacy - or a Guatamalan for deeper jungle tones - high fruit and florals more subdued deeper tones, like chocolate. I am particularly fond of bourbons from this region; 3) Africa - too many:regions, variants,... But, I'd recommend a good Ethiopian (Ethiopia be the point of origin for coffee) - either a richer Harrar or a bright, floral Yirga Cheffe - or the highly esteemed Kenyan, again bright, great acidity, wonderful florals in a good crop; finally, 4) a Pacific, usually a Sulawesi/Java, but some Sumatrans excel - here you find rich loam, dark chocolate and rich jungle fruit. The classic Mocha-Java blend is of a (preferably ) lighter roasted Ethiopian/Yemeni bean with a darker roasted Sulawesi/Java/Sumatra bean - blended to cover both the high notes and the bass!

Note: your Columbian Supremo will be a "market grade" Columbian - probably great to start experimenting with. You will find a big difference when you move to select small-lot coffees, but with a fresh roast, you will see immediate BIG differences!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Muchas gracias...

Well, let's get ready to ruuuuuuummble! My 5 pounds of Colombia Supremo unroasted beans should be here shortly. Meanwhile I found a proper, 1200 watt air popper in good working order at the Thrift Store for $3.99. As Sweet Maria's recommended - with air slots around the perimeter of the popping chamber (and not a screen which risks fire). Better yet, I think, is that I see the remnants of what looks like coffee particles which means this unit works for coffee - or doesn't.

We'll see...
Capn Jimbo

Ready to go...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Yup, just about ready...

For those who care, here's my usual inexpensive but competent starter stuff...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
(Forgive the crappy pic with my, yes, low end 4G cell...)

The coolest item is the Whirly-Pop classic popcorn maker, used successfully by home roasters who like me, would rather spend $25 rather than say, $200. A no brainer for me. The lid clips on and is hinged down the middle. You hold onto the pot handle with one hand, and turn the crank steadily with the other. Two stainlees heavy gauge wire arms are geared to the crank. These hug the bottom of the pot and rotate to keep the roasting beans tumbling and rotating during the roast (for an even roast). According to Maria's the time needed: 5 to 7 minutes estimated.

Next is a bag of Columbia Supremo (large bean) which is considered a good decent daily drinker, and which I chose as I have enjoyed Colombia Supremo all my life, for a good comparison. I'll get to experiment with different roasts and grinds. This is a 5 pound bag, about $6.50 lb. delivered.

Next is an IKEA French Coffee Press for a mere $13 at well, IKEA. For those who might consider an expensive Bodum, the reviews are mixed but the IKEA is known for using steel in critical places and taking lots of abuse. An interesting review is here:
http://www.ikeafans.com/home/kaffe-fren ... -a-review/

Next up, a decent, low priced Krups, model 203 Fast-Touch coffee grinder. Quiet, 200 watts, up to 3 oz of beans at a time. The Amazon reviews are acceptable. The oval chamber is reported to cause the beans to rotate more randomly, for a more even grind. There are some complaints about using it for grinding spices but guess what? It's for coffee.

Oops, almost forgot. The popcorn air popper is another popular starting roasting method. According to Sweet Maria's who compared a number of them, the key elements of an air popper used for coffee are simple: first they state it requires at least 1200 watt, and second the stainless chamber must be of the type that blows the hot air in through a series of slots on the sides (and NOT through a screen in the center of the bottom). The reason...

Hot air through the a center screen will tumble the beans unevenly (rather than the smooth rotation of angled side slots); further, the direct very hot air can ignite the coffee chaff that is floating around. Sweet Maria's recommends the Poppery II (which is so popular that you're forced to buy new at say $40-50! OTOH, these or the equal can be found at thrift shops and garage sales for say $5.

I found my cheepie - 1200 watts, proper slots for $3.99 at a thrift shop. There are a couple mods that some people have done. These folks dissassemble the unit, and disable the simple thermostat (to increase the temperature), and to use a screwdriver to slightly widen the slots (for more air, better rotation). Sweet Maria's strongly recommends the air popper method as it almost guarantees a nice even roast. There's a nice video at their website...

http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Do check out this vid - very interesting even if you don't intend to try it. They really do make things seem accessible. Basta! That's it. Did I choose well? Or am I well named, lol...
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Avast Capn! There be shoals ahead! Given your start, I see years ahead of traveling narrow channels by scent, sound and sight! But then again, the joy is in the journey - smooth sailing friend!