It's gettin' hot Dept: J-Lo and thermostats...

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

It's gettin' hot Dept: J-Lo and thermostats...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You haven't seen hot until you visit South Florida...

Seriously. When you live in or near the Tropics clothes come off, and winter fat just doesn't make it. Also, it's just plain Paradise. When it's beautiful all the time people head for the beach, the water, the boats, the outdoor festivals and the clubs. People are active and they come from all over the Caribbean, the Americas and from overseas. When I first moved to Florida I saw more beautiful and exotic women (and yes men, lol) in one day than I'd see in a year in Ohio. Which becomes just another day in Paradise...

But how 'bout thermostats?

If or when you end up giving this thing a try as we did, a cheepo air popper is a great entry and will do just fine. It should work from the get go. My 1200 watt thrift store, $3.99 popper went through maybe 20 batches before it starting turning off the the middle of the roast - a kind of Coffee Interuptus. Not good - the now still coffee is sitting on a hot spot and starts to smoke and singe (which is exactly why you have to be there and watch it).

After a couple unplanned stops, I realized the problem - all of these seem to have the safety measure of a thermostat that prevents overheating, and now mine had simply started to trigger earlier than before.

The solution?

The same easy solution as before. Just take the mother apart - a couple screws - and figure out where the thermo is. In my case it was a metal "puck" with an electrical connector on both sides, and strapped to the outside of the metal popping cup. Unscrewed it, clipped the wires, and reattached them with a simple wire nut, pushed the wires to the (cooler) bottom of the unit and reassemble.

Maybe 15 minutes. Quick road, er roast test, and now it won't turn off until it melts or the roast is done, whichever comes first, lol... I got a good 2nd crack roast out of it, and added it to my ever changing "blend". Guyz and girlz I have to tell you - if you don't try rolling yer own, you're really missing something...

Hot stuff!