Review: Myers's Platinum White Rum

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!

How do you rate Myers's Platinum White as a mixer (five is best)?

50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

MJL
Oscar

Review: Myers's Platinum White Rum

Post by MJL »

Myers's Jamaican Rum has always had a well earned reputation for producing a high quality, easily drinkable molasses spiked darker rum but what about its less famous, less well known clear brother?

NAME: Myers's Platinum White Rum

PRICE: $21.99-$31.99

COLOR: Clear

NOSE: Medicinal, alcohol, tingly, very light butterscotch

TASTE: The flavors are most definitely rum but not particularly intense or complex. The palette is approached with a very clean, fresh flavor. Tastes tend toward the light brown sugar but are very light with slight alcohol burn on the tongue.

AFTERTASTE: There is not much here for aftertaste. The slight butterscotch flavor combines with the medicinal nose to end in a clean anisette-like flavor that lingers moderately for about 45 seconds.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Myers's Platinum White Rum could be one of the best mixing Rum's on the market today. It has enough flavor to warrant its purchase over cheaper but similar products that lack the flavor in this bottle. I would purchase this Rum again for mixed drinks. It holds it's own against mixing ingredients and still delivers excellent value for money.
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Re: Myers's Platinum White Rum

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

MJL wrote: NOSE: Medicinal, alcohol, tingly, very light butterscotch

TASTE: The flavors are most definitely rum but not particularly intense or complex. The palette is approached with a very clean, fresh flavor. Tastes tend toward the light brown sugar but are very light with slight alcohol burn on the tongue.

FINAL THOUGHTS: It has enough flavor to warrant its purchase over cheaper but similar products that lack the flavor in this bottle. I would purchase this Rum again for mixed drinks. It holds it's own against mixing ingredients and still delivers excellent value for money.
I like your observation on the 'nose' of White Myers--reminds me of Rogue's White Rum. Again, I must give Rogue's it's due--it does improve with airing, which I and several other rum taste-testers that day found very surprising!

Cheers!
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Finally!

For all the years we have been loving and reviewing rums, despite this product of a very old and fine Jamaican distiller, regardless of the absolutely classicism of this rum - we never managed to buy one (although we did review both their Original Dark and Legend versions. Myers's is a company that stands well apart. They've been in business for over 100 years. Their rums are still largely pot stilled and well aged (some up to 50 years). Unlike the arsehole marketeers at MG, they've refused to "update" their classic old bottle in my lifetime, and more.

That means something.

To be a little fair, although their Original Dark is absolutely ubiquitous at nearly every bar, and surely for any - I mean any - Tiki lover, the Platinum seems harder to find. So when I was food shopping I happened to visit the adjacent liquor store and saw a 750 for $15.95 (actually a couple dollars high), but bought it anyway and brought it home.

Sue Sea was thrilled - she loves Myers's products, and as soon as I set it on the kitchen counter, we felt driven to immediately pour a couple drams with a real review to follow. Now this may be a spoiler but I just must say this: we think the Platinum may just be close to the best and most classic white we've tasted - close to Charbay and just behind the best white in the world: Wray & Nephews OP (which any sane taster will dilute for sipping).

A quick impression:

Top quality - smooth, oily, integrated. Led by banana, followed by lemon and and light fruit, vanillan and a very mild licorice. Although most whites tend to lead with anise, this does not and this is completely due to its classic pot stilling in the Jamaican style. I even gave it a name: "Banana Lemon Custard".

Rich, surprisingly complex and just chock full of classic rum flavors. No gimmicks and a price to die for - about $13. Absolute Best Buy.