Rum Reviews: Hot Tips!

Alright, alright it's not all that important. But it IS information. Up Spirits!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Reviews: Hot Tips!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Reviews are spread throughout the forum, but all have been entered preceeded by "Review:".

Please note that our reviews are biased toward fine sipping rums of uncommon value. Still, a remarkable rum costing say $20 may well receive a higher rating than a rum of equal qualification that costs three times as much.

Or it may not. You decide.

I have done my best to arrange rums into the five basic reference styles (Barbadian, Jamaican, Demeraran, Cuban and French), with a few other miscellaneous categories just for fun. Compleat Idiot that I am, I have undoubtedly made some horrific misassignments - feel free to straighten my ass out. Some fun facts:

1. Some of the best and most well regarded rums in the world are quite affordable.

2. Likewise, there are a number of younger, less expensive rums that outperform their older, more expensive siblings. Example: Barbancourt Five Star over Barbancourt 15.

Here's a typical review:
"Deep copper color with an orange cast. Intense buttery caramel corn, toasted nuts, chocolate truffle, dried cherry, and marzipan aromas are exceptional. A velvety entry leads to a very smooth, sweet, and oily full-bodied palate with deep flavors of chocolate-covered cherries and figs, rich brown spices, cola, almonds, leather, and toffee. Finishes with a long, sweet and rich, finish of caramel, vanillin, spice, cigar box, and dried stone fruits. An unusually aromatic and flavorful aged rum that borders on liqueur with strong bourbon, brandy, and port barrel influences. Interesting and certainly unique, but perhaps a bit much."
Just kiddin, relax.

Intimidating inaccessible reviews by and for top tasters - like the above - do not appear here! Rather, our reviews are by and for the rest of us - including new rum drinkers. We hope you find them accessible, understandable, reproduceable and memorable. And accordingly much more useful to the average rummy. Sue Sea is a great cook with an amazing nose and is able to come up with the most vivid - and accurate - capsules. Compared to her I am truly a Compleat Idiot.

But an idiot in progress. Enjoy...