Rum Review: Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva Rum

The fifth and last major standard style, the lighter Cuban rums pioneered by Bacardi, who left their facilities and quality, but not their politics, behind when Fidel lit up. Por Cuba Libre!

How do you rate Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve Rum (5 is best)?

58%
25%
17%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing this. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Lake Alfred releases (with not a lot of hope as that was years ago). One can hope.
Bearman
Cabin Boy

Another opinion on Mathusalem 15

Post by Bearman »

Once in a while I crave something different than the more challenging spicy rums that I usually prefer, and because of the huge amounth of positive reviews of this rum I decided to try it.
It opens up rather pleasantly.

nose: sweet and fruity followed by a slightly alcoholic note, but overall a rather decent nose.

Palate: Initially smooth and rather sweet, kind of syruppy but not overly so.

The finish is what ruins the experience for me, it seems to end on a rather unpleasant alcoholic note. Usually i like the spicy/oaky alcoholic burn that the other rums i have tasted offers, but the burn in this one reminds me of the taste i used to get in the cheap stuff I drank in my teenage years..
I like some of the aspects in this rum, bland as they may be, but the finish does cripple this rum in my opinion. The alcoholic note does not seem to dimminish after airing:-( 6/10