"Hot and Bothered"?: a recipe by Moi!

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

"Hot and Bothered"?: a recipe by Moi!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm not a mixed drink fan...

Sure, Sue Sea and I occasionally love to make a good gin or vodka martini. There's just something elegant and 007-like about that drink and the glass it come in. Sue Sea likes 'em "dirty" (olive juice and a few crushed olives" and with crushed ice, I like them just classic: booze, dry vermouth and a bit of bitters (Angostura of course).

And there is one rum drink that has no equal: Pusser's Painkiller, especially made with all fresh ingredients (we grow our own pineapples) and Coco Lopez - to die for!

So get to it already!

Oh! Yes, sorry. It was 90 degrees and I'd been doing heavy yard work for a few hours, and I came stumbling into the house, desperate for cold, refreshing relief. Icewater didn't quite cut it, and even an ice cold Guinness didn't appeal. In creativity born of desperation I opened the fridge and just started building something, in this order:

1. Squeezed the juice of a good Florida orange, looked further and...

2. Added the juice of a ripe lemon. Still looking and found...

3. What the hell? Added the juice of a plump lime.

Now surely rum was in order, but I didn't want the dominence of say a Pussers (especially since the bottle was low), so opened the liquor closet and found a Ron Medellin 8 Year from Columbia. Instinctively I knew this was right: a good Columbian rum with plenty - but not too much - flavor.

4. Perfect. Two shots of the Medellin. But surely this would be too sour, so some sweetening was in order...

5. A shot of Depaz cane syrup, tasted - still a bit too acidic - and added another half shot. But something was missing. What?

6. Coconut! So a shot of Coco Lopez, and licked the spoon. Even the process was turning out to be fun. Still, I wanted perhaps another tiny touch for just a bit more interest. Cinnamon? Nope, too intense but I knew I was close. I reflected on our love for Painkillers and voila!

7. A healthy dose of freshly grated nutmeg (which Sue Sea adores).

Lots of ice, shake vigorously to ice-cold status, served in tall frozen glasses with ice and a final dusting of nutmeg.

The Result:

Absolutely refreshing, tart and litely sweet and interesting. For now it's Hot and Bothered, but that doesn't work as it describes the weather, not the drink...

A request: help us out and name this drink?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

A nice refreshing drink is orange and lemonade (half and half) or for you yanks orange and sprite/7up non alcoholic but you can always chuck in a bit of rum just to flavour it if that takes your fancy.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Sounds alright Jimbo, the nutmeg at the end is a bit suspect but I won't knock it untill I've tried it. As for a name how about CJ's mugsmix
in goes your eye out