Review: Calidao Original Jamaican Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Calidao Original Jamaican Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Calidao Original Jamaican Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Calidao Original Jamaican Rum: Pussers Lite

Not many people are aware of the long relationship between Jamaica and Germany. Some of the finest high-ester rums from Jamaica are reserved for export to Germany, where these rich and flavorful rums are bottled and distributed as Jamaican rum, rum-verschnitt (a rum blend), and an array of flavored and spiced rums. These range from 37.5% to 54% alcohol by volume, and carry names such as Boddel 40, Feiner Alter Asmussen, der milde Balle and Ron Roncado Black and White.

Here's a pic of the Feiner Alter Asmussen Jamaican Rum, aka "The One With The Mermaid:

..........................Image

The Calidao Original Jamaican Dark Rum is a near twin to the Asmussen, even down to the label and slogan. The only difference: replace "Asmussen" with "Calidao"; the bottle is only slightly stockier and less tapered. Asmussen is one of the oldest Jamaican/German rums - the Calidao name was trademarked this year (2010) for the American market. Calidao reflects Spanish terms for "hot" or "warm" and "quality" or "select".

As you can see the rums comes in a uniquely German style bottle, that could well be used to deliver a fine German Beer. It is well to note that German products are known for their quality and purity. It is safe to assume that the color of this rum is entirely natural (no E150a here).

Calidao is an extremely hard-to-find rum and frankly, I was not expecting much, particularly at its lower price point. Was I right? The reviews...
Sue Sea: Calidao Original Jamaican Rum comes in a surprisingly short and hefty bottle which is really quite uneventful. Their slogan is "The One with the Mermaid", yet the mermaid is so tiny that it could be mistaken for an island or a "G". I actually like the mermaid theme and would only suggest that the mermaids be larger and highlighted.

The aroma of Calidao Rum is unmistakeably Jamaican style and features a smooth dunder and orange, leather, and touches of vanilla, caramel and typical rum aromas. Quite nice, and reminiscent of my beloved Pussers Blue Label.

The early palate opens with an orange blossom honey, followed by a mid palate of cinnamon, ginger and clove spices, and ending with a growing, glowing heat and finish of ginger, clove, white pepper and possibly a jalapeno. Very nice.

Calidao Original Jamaican Rum is smooth, consistent, balanced and pleasant. Those of you who love Pussers Blue Label will find the Calidao more than reminiscent, if less challenging. This rum would make an excellent introduction to the Jamaican style.
Me:

Calidao Original Jamaican Rum presents as clear light amber, and demonstrates a nice thin green edge. It is medium bodied. This rum presented with a lovely, soft sweet citrus orange and complex dundery esters, a fine example of the Jamaican style. The entry is an entirely consistent, medium-bodied smooth orange, followed by a a growing, dry dunder and slightly astringent leather heat, with an invigorating pepper finish and lingering aftertaste.

I found the Calidao Rum to be a smooth and easy drinking dram that well represents the Jamaican style. At it's price point (I recall its price at about $20 or a bit less), this is really a must buy and a fine Jamaican complement to Pussers Blue Label (which we can obtain at about the same price, or even a tad less).

Rating (10 is best): solid 8.
Bearman
Cabin Boy

My opinion..

Post by Bearman »

Because of Sue Sea's recommendation this was my introduction to the Jamaican rum style. To me the taste of Asmussen starts of rather sweet somewhat reminding me of frosting, later the dunder comes in with pleasant, but to my still rather inexperienced tongue unidentifiable bursts of flavour. The finish is on honey accompanied by a small alcoholic burn. After having tried other rumverschnitt rums and Pusser's I have decided that this one deserves 7/10. Asmussen works very well in a nice rum grog, 1-2 pieces of sugar a bit of rum and boiling hot water. Ultimate winter warmer:)

In the rumverschnitt department I would recommend Johannsen 1878, which is slightly more approachable than Asmussen (less alcoholic burn in the finish), if you can get your hands on it of course.