Rum Review: Origine Amber Estate Reserve Rum

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!

How do you rate Origine (5 is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Origine Amber Estate Reserve Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Origine Amber Estate Reserve Rum: "Pecan Pie"

This is a Caribbean blend you (a) might have trouble finding or (b) resist buying because of where you find it. Personally, I frequently stop at unlikely or new liquor stores just to compare pricing and availability, and often find a close out or underpriced goodie. As a former marketing man it's not hard to spot the ad department's hand in bottle and label design, and the Origine bottle is edging into this territory.

OTOH, the small label at the bottom of the bottle claimed a blend of seven rums from the Demerara, Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad. It proclaimed a "small batch" of 2460 cases, and named the master distiller, actually blender, "Francis George". The "heart of the blend" was identified as a ten year Barbados rum, and blending was done in the Netherlands.

That was enough. I parted with $29 - high for an experiment - but WTF, hadda do it. Let's get to the reviews:

Sue Sea:
I like the Origine bottle, quiet and classy. The rum itself was surprisingly complex. Its aroma: vanilla, cinnamon, perhaps a bit of butterscotch-caramel and a bit of honey - almost like a light pecan pie. The body was medium, smooth and creamy, with light tastes of caramel, toffee and smoke. Origine's medium finish was smooth, warm and smokey and a little peppery. Nice. Origine is completely consistent from aroma to finish - warm, creamy, smooth and buttery - like a caramel cream or pudding.
Me:

Sue Sea and I come ever closer in our evaluations as we learn from each other. Aromawise I found a definite vanilla, woody/oakey, and nutty notes, perhaps a bit of leather. Origine is smooth and easy to sip. But there's a problem here and it's the price: $29.

Not an issue for Preacher Ed (whose sponsored site means "free rum") or some of his rhum snob sycophants, but it definitely is for the rest of us. Readers of the Rum Project know that top rated, world class rums can be found at this price point, if not lower! Ergo, I simply can't recommend buying this one unless you find it under $20. At $15 it's a must buy.

Rating (10 is best): 6.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomson2008

Origine Amber Estate Reserve

Post by thomson2008 »

I recently encountered this rum while browsing the shelves at a local store. It was completely unknown to me and I decided to give it a try. It is from the Netherlands and proclaims itself an "Amber Estate Reserve". "A blend of 7 craftsman distilled rums, featuring those from centuries old estates, from Demerara and the islands of Barbados, Jamaica, and Trinidad."