Got me a wee Bunny sampler

It's tea time ladies, grab yer mugs! Drink it fast or sip it slow. About glasses, how ta crook yer pinkie, nosing and tasting techniques and equipment. May your cup - and your women - be bottomless!
Uisge
Cap'n

Got me a wee Bunny sampler

Post by Uisge »

3 x 200ml of Bunnahabhain goodness, and a good introduction to the single malt which previously I had only sampled as part of the beloved and sadly missed Black Bottle 10 YO.

Trying the standard 12 YO and I like it; not peaty, but more on bell peppers, fudge, hint of Elmer's glue (c'mon, didn't you try some of that as a kid when it was project time in kindergarden?) and a slight Agave sweetness.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Toiteach (apparently it means "smokey"in Gaelic, according to the enclosure the bottles came in) and I'm not sure about the Darach Ur ("new oak", again, from the Gaelic, 'natch).
Image[/img]
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Apparently, this sampler is the ONLY way for us 'Muricans to sample the Darach Ur, which is a travel retail offering otherwise.
(Curse you, You're Uh Peein's! :evil: ....ok, I'm just kidding about the cursing and the name calling, but dang it, why should American legal stupidity prevent so many good distilled spirits from making it to these shores due to not being an acceptable size *read=700ml* bottle? End rant :oops: )
bearmark
Beermeister

Toiteach is great!

Post by bearmark »

I've had Toiteach and it's very good... somewhere in between Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 as far as flavor profile... not as sweet as Ardbeg and not as medicinal as Laphroaig, but still plenty of peat and smoke.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The standard 12 is a decent drop an easy buy. It wouldn't go down as one of my all time favourites but wgaf? It is a very good single malt.
in goes your eye out
Uisge
Cap'n

Re: Toiteach is great!

Post by Uisge »

bearmark wrote:I've had Toiteach and it's very good... somewhere in between Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 as far as flavor profile... not as sweet as Ardbeg and not as medicinal as Laphroaig, but still plenty of peat and smoke.
I'm trying some of the Toiteach now, and it seems VERY familiar to me.

Like the Ian McLeod's Dun Bheagan Islay 8 YO I've enjoyed in the past, and recently obtained another bottle of via Noo Yawk to replace my original bottle purchased in the very early aughts. :wink:

The same sweetness (almost a sugar icing) that turns a little towards smoking seaweed/peat, pepper/cinnamon, tea, and almonds.

Here's Micheal Jackson's and Dave Broom's review from Whisky Magazine circa 2004.

Other than the proof being 3% more, I'd make a bet of a fairly large amount that it IS the same!

This makes me very happy! :D