Rum Review: Flor de Cana Twelve (12) Year Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Flor de Cana Twelve (12) Year Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Flor de Cana Twelve (12) Year Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Flor de Cana Twelve Year Rum: "Smooth and Sophisticated"

Please know that I have nice Flor de Cana Buzz - no make that buzz - on as I write this long awaited review. Flor de Cana is widely considered one of the smooth and balanced rums of the day. It is. Sue Sea and I just now completed a Flor de Cana Smackdown (click here) and it was great fun, not to mention a great education.

There is no doubt the Flor de Cana is a fine rum of exceptional value (up to the Seven and possibly Twelve year, anyway). Is the Twelve Year worth its (to some) reasonable price tag of around $30? Let's see...

Sue Sea
:
The Flor de Cana Twelve Year comes in a somewhat modified squat bottle with actual shoulders and a complex attractive label and the ubiquitous Flor de Cana "slow-aged" informative tag that is just a little bit too cute. Too well done. But I did like the Twelve Year. My intial aroma was of oak and caramel, leather, furniture polish (in a good way, like "Pledge") and a deep orange apricot. The caramel carried through and I tasted toasted caramel, pecan, locorice and butterscotch. The finish was lightly peppery, very clovey and long. Very nice. The Twelve Year left an aftertaste of light cigar smoke. As an ex-smoker, it was too nice, ha!

All in all a nice complex and sophisticated kind of aftertaste that makes you want some more.
Me:

I first tasted Flor de Cana Twelve (12) Year as part of a long awaited "smackdown" of the 4-7-12 years (click here). This was a terrific experience, be sure to check it out. I found the Twelve's aroma featured tarry oak (nice), with a bit of alcohol prickle (not as much as the four) against a background of raisin and a deep, deep orange/apricot and leather. The early palate was entirely consistent, and included some raisin. The finish was very smooth and peppery with raisin and cigar box. The cigar box carried through an aftertaste, obviously a possible cigar rum.

All in all a fine rum that still works at a price of $29. But not much more.

Rating (10 is best): 7

For a "Smackdown" of Flor de Cana Four (4), Seven (7) and Twelve ) 12 Year click here.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Pretty much agree with all above, I gave this rum a 4 as it is a really pleasant rum. Goes well with a medium colorado cigar and is to be enjoyed when you don't feel in the mood for lots of flavour rum, that is to say this is a subtle rum with plenty of balance and complex flavour but your taste buds must lightly sort them out.
in goes your eye out
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

I agree. It is not an easy "first-taste-ahhhhh"-rum but you have to invest some time to really get the best of this jewel. I'd rate it even higher than 7, but 8 sounds very much... :)

Do all FdC-Rums have the barkeeper-thing instead of a cork in their bottles?