Welcome to the smoking parlor...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome to the smoking parlor...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Reading this section can be hazardous to your health...

I'm not a big proponent of smoking; in fact I quit over 30 years ago (even though it never was a nasty habit). As a teen smoking was a brief, choking experience with Lucky Strikes (or was it Pall Malls). One deep inhale and over! Next was in my 20's when I bought a few nice pipes and smoked aromatics 'cause the girls liked it. Cherry Blend can get you laid. Same for a few aromatic wood-tipped cigars.

Sue Sea was quite the smoker for 30 years, but when we met I made it clear "I don't date smokers!" and asked her to stop. "Next year" she said. "Is January first OK?" I retorted; inasmuch as that was some months off, she reluctantly agreed.

On that fateful day, I reminded her expecting another postponement but to my great surprise? She quit. And so we proceeded on together. But that was ten years ago. In the meanwhile The Rum Project was born leading to a interest in fine spirits.

As for today - we remain non-smokers in the sense though that a visit to Key West has to include buying on-the-premise hand made sandals at Kino's, beers at Sloppy Joe's, the sunset celebration at Mallory pier, and for some a handrolled cigar at the tiny Rodruiguez Cigar Shop, where the 80+ year old grandfather and his family have rolled Dominican tobacco into prized stogies for at least 30 years.

All are Key West fixtures, enjoyed by many.

So why a smoking section?

We're realists. While smoking cigarettes is ridiculous, smoking the peace pipe or for contemplation is a long held societal practice. Handing out good cigars at the birth of a baby, a promotion, a marriage - or a divorce - is common. There are those for whom an annual celebratory fine single malt and fine cigar suffices.

A number of our posters do love an occasional smoke. For many an especially fine spirit goes well with a good cigar, or for Ralfy with a Falcon pipe.

Still moderation in all things is a good idea. Addiction is one thing. Wedding cakes and cigars is quite another. This section is for those whose personal choices include an occasional smoke as an accompaniment to their spirits...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

oooh oooh I'm already collecting a bucket load of data to swamp this section with..call me smokey the smoking section post whore.

Good job Jimbo!
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And let's not forget Hass...

Whom I expect we'll be seeing here as well, and should also be credited for creating interest, via his wonderful post on nargile tobacco, and the smoking habits of the elders. Reminds me of my Greek grandparents and their amazing desserts, olives, figs and potent thick Greek coffee.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

You mean Turkish coffee, right? :D

Capn's Log: Opa!
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Afiyet olsun, Kapudan Paşa!

Capn's Log: Bon Appetit to you as well... at least in accord with a Turkish translator.