Rum Review: E.S.A. Field White Rum

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate E.S.A. Field White Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: E.S.A. Field White Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

E.S.A. Field White Rum (86 proof): "Crispy Celery Caliente"

Barbados is the home of rum, and quite measures up to what is otherwise an overworn phrase. In the case of Bajan rums the moniker is well earned. Accordingly we ought to pay attention to what Barbadians drink, enjoy and prefer.

E.S.A. Field White Rum.

Not Bacardi. Not Mount Gay. Not even Seales 10 Year. E.S.A. Field was established in 1909. This rum was first blended and bottled by a Mr. Edward Samuel Allison Field in the Parish of St. Philip. Mr. Field became highly regarded throughout Barbados for his skill in blending white rums using a "secret recipe", which he sold in 1964 to David Seale. R.L. Seale continues to produce this rum at his Foursquare distillery.

And E.S.A. Field White Rum remains the best selling rum in Barbados.

Many of you know I have the highest regard for the rums of Barbados. These reflect more than 300 years of development, including those of the oldest continuous running distillery of Mount Gay, established in 1703. So when a rum is advertised as the biggest selling rum in Barbados I take note. What I find most interesting...

It's a flavored rum, but in the spirit of honest dealings, makes no bones about it. When I found E.S.A. Field's for a mere $19 buying it was a no brainer - especially knowing its origin and production by Seale. Basta! The reviews...

Sue Sea:
If you have read many of my reviews, you know that I love presentation. A nice bottle and label, low lighting, nice music and a coffee table made ready with a pitcher of ice water, perhaps a few nice crackers. Tasting a rum is an event and usually, a pleasure. The E.S.A. Field bottle satisfies and presents a simple but elegant frosted bottle featuring crisp black typography and a gold rimmed see through section which reveals a sunny seascape topped by puffy white fair weather Cumulus clouds. Elegant enough that the screw top does not detract (not to mention I almost prefer them).

E.S.A. Field White Rum opens with a light and pleasant licorice or anisette and what I can only describe as freshly cut celery. The palate is kicking hot throughout, with the aforementioned celery, almond and peanut! Does this sound unusual?

It is.

I found E.S.A. Field intriguing, almost mezmerizing. In many fine rums you will find that sweet balances heat, a pleasing sensation that you may know from Chinese dishes. But E.S.A. Field White Rum does not play that way. The tastes and heat are altogether unique, and this is surely the most unusual rum I've ever tasted. The finish was short, but left a pleasant nutty liplicking aftertaste and mouth glow.

In a way this rum reminds me of a lighter version of Wray & Nephew's White Overproof. E.S.A. Field White Rum is not complex or particularly balanced, but it is well done and what it has it plays to the hilt. It is a great cocktail hour sipper that stands alone. I would have no problem in bringing this out for newer rum drinkers to exemplify the diversity of rum as they may know it.

A unique rum. The more you experience it, the more you will come to respect and enjoy it. It is a rum that "mysterious and intoxicating" is apropos - but take care - E.S.A. Field is so captivating that you may come to need a designated driver.
Me:

There are few white rums in my collection, as mixing is not my forte or interest. But E.S.A. Field White Rum is different and quite drinkable as is. A sipper, really.

E.S.A. Field's aroma is pungent with a high, light celery sweetness that borders - I repeat borders - on medicinal, but in a nice way. You must take care as a definite alcohol prickle lurks, so start high and move in with care. Touch of black licorice. Tastewise, Field's opens cool and smooth with a light honey sweetness, but a growing fine white pepper heat quickly makes its presence known over a licorice background. This growing heat leads to a hot astringent finish and leaves a slightly bitter sweet (think cacao) licorice aftertaste.

To be fair, E.S.A. Field White Rum may be better described as a rum distinguished more by its sensations than by its aromas and tastes. From light sweet/sour, to sweet/smooth, to white hot, to astringent and dry/sweet. As Sue Sea is wont to say, it is the kind of rum that mystifies and captivates, make you want to taste again and again. As she said "...turn up the air conditioning, I'm glowing!". Which is surely why this is the #1 seller in Barbados.

I have no problem calling this rum a sipper; indeed, mixing it might destroy both the rum and overpower the drink. But I'm sure the talented mixologist exists that could prove me wrong.

Wray & Nephew, watch out. This is Barbados' 86 proof answer to your overproof.

Rating (10 is best): 8.