Rum Review: Ron Aniversario Cartavio Cinco (5) Anos

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Aniversario Cartavio Anejo Cinco (5) Anos (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Aniversario Cartavio Cinco (5) Anos

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Aniversario Cartavio Anejo Cinco (5) Anos: "Fresh Baked Vanilla Ginger Cake, aka A Lovely Leather Lady"

Just about the time the Queen of Rum offered to copromote the first ever Fort Lauderdale Rum Fest with my dear Sue Sea, she asked if we wouldn't mind heading down to South Beach to a luxury hotel to attend a Cartavio presentation of their line of rons. "Another Ron," said Sue Sue laughingly, "where did all these guys come from?". Despite the fact that valet parking costs an arm and a leg in the stratosphere of Hollywood East, this sounded like just too much fun in the service of our then commadre.

So off we went.

Ron Cartavio comes from the South American country of Peru(!), distilled and bottled by Destilerias Unidas S.A.C., established in 1929. The company was taken over in 1968 by the State of Peru and merged into the state company of the Sociedad Paramonga Ltda. (S.P.L.). In 1994 Paramonga was once again privatized into the company Industrial Cartavio S.A., which became the instant company, Destilerias Unidas S.A.C. once again, in 2001.

Whew!

The modern Cartavio offers a broad portfolio of molasses rums, some solera aged, cream rums, vodka, scotch and - not surprisingly in Peru - Pisco. Ron Cartavio Aniversario Anejo 5 Anos was first released in 1994, the 75th anniversary of the original founding of the company, and celebrating the return of the company from the state.

The tasting took place at the magnificent Delano Hotel in the Florida Room. Think 30 foot cathedral ceiling, huge oversized modern furniture (think a loveseat with a 10 foot high back), gaslights and mirrors everywhere. If you fart an attendant will rush to fan your ass. I'm serious. And of course, world class Florida models striding to and fro.

Strike the pose.

The tasting was attended by a goodly number of rum promoters and distributers, including our, uh, good friend Robert Burr and his son Rob. Let it be said our relationship with these two is rather curious. We've always treated Robert with great respect. On the other hand he remains torn by his business relationship with the Preacher who reportedly fumes at even hearing my name. I have little doubt that this contradiction causes him to wonder about me as I do about him.

It didn't help when arriving late I - totally innocently I assure you - I honestly mistook his son for a waiter and asked him to get us some glasses. He stomped off and we never did get our glasses, from him anyway.

Well! But as always, I digess, lol. The reviews.

Sue Sea:
Ron Aniversario Cartavio 5 Anos comes in a classic rectangular whiskey bottle, with a fine faux aged, old world label. Very attractive. The bottle also features a silver label proclaiming its silver medal, 2009 San Francisco award.

Cartavio 5's Anos aroma presents first as leather, then with a citrus orange, vanilla sweetness, a wispy high lemon and clove spice throughout. Background of molasses. Like better rums these are so well blended that I do them injustice by isolating these elements.

The front palate is a sweet spicy honey. The spice develops, along with cacao, gingerbread and clove. Very consistent. The finish is bold and warm and moves into a hot white pepper. I was left with a delicious gingerbread aftertaste.

I must say that Ron Anversario Cartavio is totally balanced from beginning to end. It reminds me of a freshly baked, rich gingerbread or spice cake served and eaten warm. Cartavio is quite lovely in all cases, but would also be a wonderful introduction for those new to rum.

A lovely rum, very approachable, and like all better rums makes you want to drink more and explore, at least a little. It is a "creeper", be careful not to drink too much!
Me:

At the Cartavio tasting we had the opportunity to taste their entire line, from the Blanco all the way through to their aged solera XO. Interestingly the rum that got the most interest was this one - Ron Aniversario Cartavio Anejo 5 Anos.

More about this later.

Carvavio 5 Anos was a gemstone clear, brillian medium dark amber, bordering on mahogany. Rich and beautiful. My initial nosing found a high vanilla and white citrus(I like to start high), over a sweet medium fruit (think orange), a light clove spice - all over a background of a mild tarry leather. On reflection I found Sue Sea's cacao, indeed later it caused me to break out our Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (see postscript). The front palate presented as a light sweet honey, moving into a deep orangey cacao, and ending with a clovey leather and cacao.

The finish was a slightly astringent black pepper heat that quickly transitioned into a nice white pepper, chest and lip modest finish - leaving a hot/sweet orangey leather aftertaste. Not bad at all!

Cartavio 5 Anos is very smooth, very drinkable and I believe will be Cartavio's best seller. Indeed, this was the consensus of those attending.

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 8, Jimbo - 7.

Postscript:

Based on the cacao I was caused to break out our Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. Sue Sea then requested I bring out her reference standard, Richard Seales Ten Year. I countered with my own Mount Gay Extra Old. So there!

Of the four the MGXO, as always, stands alone impresses with its rich depth and amazing complexity. Seales Ten Year, as always, impresses with its light sophistication. Last - and I must be honest - were it not for Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva the Cartavio 5 Anos might have been better regarded.

Still, it remains a very fine younger rum.