Where are my manners?

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
adri_dand
Greaser

Where are my manners?

Post by adri_dand »

Where to begin?...

My father was always an appreciator of fine spirits ever since I could remember. More often than not, our liquor cabinet contained rare brandy, cognac, whiskey, and on occasion, RUM! (rhum..... because I hail from Montreal, Quebec, Canada..... anyway....)

When I was about 18 (8 years ago...) I truly developed an affinity for all things rum! My trip to Cuba a year later simply cemented my passion for this once mighty beverage of the seas that could serve as a replacement for gun powder!

I also really enjoy brandy and whiskey and have begun what will turn out to be an over-the-top collection in a few years I'm sure...

My rum collection has grown to only 11 bottles, mainly because a lot of the time, the bottles disappear quickly enough......., and in the last week or so, I have purchased a bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel, Flor de Cana 12 year, and alas, a bottle of El Dorado 21 year! :)

I fear that I will be returning to the liquor commission fairly soon as they have received some new and intriguing rums that I have yet to savor!

Also ahead, is a trip planned to Ontario where I can purchase the ever so talked about Mount Gay XO! Unfortunately, all we have in Quebec is the Mount Gay Eclipse!

Anyway, I can go on for years talking about this stuff, so I'll end it here for now!

Cheers! and.. oh yeah!, All hands on deck! :)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Although we've communicated privately, here's a hearty public welcome. You certainly have good taste in rum and I urge you to check out Chapter Five of my Rum E-book " A Basic Reference Collection" - which is linked at the main website of The Rum Project (link).

You will soon face the problem of what rums to buy, and without a reference collection you will end up like I did with a helter skelter collection gathered without understanding.

I once lived briefly in Montreal and fell in love with the city. And I'm jealous that you can get both Cuban rum and cigars. OTOH I can get almost any other Caribbean rum at very low prices.

So there!
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
adri_dand
Greaser

Post by adri_dand »

I have already made a list of rums that I am going to purchase from your reference collection! :)
That being said.....This passion is going to be the end of me... (or my money! HA!)

Montreal is a beautiful city indeed. If only we had more of a selection when it came to rum purchasing. I have noticed however, a slight increase in product availability and variety of late. Nevertheless, it's nothing compared to the southern states... ahem ahem.... Florida... ahem....
Can the SAQ wake up and import more rum?!?!?!?