Hookah's on first?

You think cigars are old? Pipes? Try the art of Narghile. Although today's youth think a "hookah" is simply a means to smoke highly flavored tobacco with names like Blueberry Bubblegum, the real art of the Narghile is anything but. Narghile is an ancient practice, traditional, spiritual, ubiquitous worldwide and until recently free of the marketing monkeys. Thanks to Hass for the amazing contributions herein.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

First "nargling" report...

Hass has been after me to fire up our new and as yet untested Mya QT model. To be fair, Sue Sea and I like to do things together and she has not been feeling chipper for more than a few weeks. So last night I decided enough was quite enough and it was time to give it a go.

With some trepidation, I took my Walmart hotplate outside and placed two of the Hawaiian coconut coal cubes on it. I should add I'd already scrubbed out the vase, stem and bowls and rinsed out the Mya hose (which is washable). I filled up the vase to about an inch over the bottom of the stem, and assembled the hookah with the original Mya bowl (just to see what Hass's objection to it might be).

I'd also already mixed up a bit of Nahkla Zaghoul with a bit of honey and Hass' recommended glycerine and mixed some - half and half- with the Nakhla Double Apple for a rounded bowl of the very moist tobacco. I pressed it down, applied some aluminum foil, shiny side down and used the Mya steel puncturing skewer to make the holes. It turns out this tool is rather large in diameter, far larger than a toothpick, so I was only able to get two concentric circles. Rather crude I must say.

Meanwhile I'd been checking the coals, which I turned once or twice until they looked nicely whitened on all sides. FYI Hass, these coals had a nice neutral aroma, did not make a lot of smoke, and seemed to burn rather well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, fasten your seat belts and all seat backs to the erect position...

I set up the Mya in the middle of our living room coffee table on our lazy Susan (for which this purpose had never been intended, but how wonderful to be able to rotate the unit). The Mya bowl is not all that wide, and the two coals pretty much reached from side to side, glowing nicely. Impatient I waited only a minut or two and then...

First puff...

Took a tentative and careful pull, and noted the pleasant bubbling of the water. Two more pulls and the vase was filled with smoke and voila! A lovely aromatic vapor/smoke was obtained, tasted and exhaled. Not the huge thunder clouds we saw at the Hookah Bar, but certainly more than a pipe or cigar. The sensation was gentle, cool, smooth, tasty and aromatic.

The combination of the Zag and the DA was lovely, and certainly more complex and interesting than the Al Fakher Double Apple we'd had before which Sue Sea described as rather like a fake artificial cherry. In comparison the Nakhla seemed more real, more authentic if that makes sense. The Zaghoul added a light tobacco-like element.

At times when the smoke seemed a little too thin, I'd move the coals to a new position and the volume would come back, though still less in volume than I'd hoped for (though we didn't seek the huge clouds). On a couple of occasions I tried a series of smaller, preparatory puffs like I would on a cigar, and then the next pull would be better.

After 40 minutes the coals were about 2/3 gone, and rather than starting new coals we stopped early. On emptying the bowl, I'd guess we still had another 1/3 to go.

First impressions:

1. The draw was really pretty easy; we never felt we had to work at it.

2. The vapor/smoke - even in the lesser volumes - was quite pleasant. We knew that unlike a pipe or cigar, it was not necessary to rush, and could take a pull at our whim, with no worries about relighting (think pipes).

3. Even though I'd mistakenly mixed the DA with the honeyed Zag, I found the mixture extremely pleasant, Sue Sea was unfortunately reminded of the Al Fakher experience; she wants to try the Zaghoul alone. She's not into aromatics.

4. I successfully tested the purge valve, but see little use for it, and may just remove it and use a small cork for a better seal and perhaps a better draw (if that was indeed the issue with the lower volumes).

5. I did not line the bowl with foil as I later noted online is done by some - for what reason I'm not quite sure unless it's to keep the bowl from absorbing as much flavor.

In sum - a pleasant experience, and thanks to Hass for his patience and guidance. What say you?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ah trying new things, it's indeed the spice of life. Sounds like you might enjoy this concept of hookers in your lounge room. ;)
in goes your eye out
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

1. Mya hoses really are not washable, despite what they tell you. One rinse is OK, but don't make a habit of it.

2. Glad your coals worked out well!

3. Mya purges are known to be their main deficiency. However, don't try to alter it, it should be completely airtight on the inhale.

3. Ditch the Mya poker thing. I know exactly what you mean about it, you wan't something very sharp and not too wide gauge. A bamboo skewer would work well too - larger than a toothpick, but at least sharp and precise.

4. Don't bother lining the bowl with foil. Nobody I know does it.

5. Nakhla is definitely more real and authentic than Fakher! :D

6. Mixing the DA with honey Zaghloul is fine. I suggest when trying Zaghloul on its own, doing it outside, unless you want your house to smell cigar-y.

Overall, sounds like you had a pretty good first home session! Glad to hear it!