Pipes and Pipe Tobacco... (this post inspired the section)

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

From top to bottom, Eric Nording - royal series-Jack. Then Design Berlin-gotha-41. Then Passatore half bent. They are all good smokers with the Nording being the best for ribbon or ready rubbed and the DB the best for flakes and plugs. I also have a meerschaum that Im still getting used to and the corncob that is also a great pipe that is an all rounder

in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

So you bought a Meerschaum after all. I've been looking at a Design Berlin
http://www.pipes.ws/node/1902
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Yeah I thought I'd give the meer a try. The meerschaum itself is great, provides a smoke without any influence on the flavour. The only downside is the mortise and tenon that the Turks use they are cheap Chinese things that have a hole diameter that restricts the draw a bit. It gets a little annoyingat times. It us a shame because the pipes are well carved out of good quality block. Only to be let down by the stem/tenon/mortise engineering. It's early days yet though so Im not writing it off just yet.

As for the DB you're looking at it is a probably a good pipe.The chamber dimensions would make it especially good for flakes, plugs etc but of course you could smoke whatever form you like in it. I personally think the chamber is a little narrow and you'd be better off looking at a 20mm or so diameter with approx 35 or larger chamber depth. Have a look on ebay and type in savinelli or stanwell, Peterson or design berlin. There are a lot to choose from in that price range.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Yeah I thought I'd give the meer a try. The meerschaum itself is great, provides a smoke without any influence on the flavour. The only downside is the mortise and tenon that the Turks use they are cheap Chinese things that have a hole diameter that restricts the draw a bit. It gets a little annoyingat times. It us a shame because the pipes are well carved out of good quality block. Only to be let down by the stem/tenon/mortise engineering. It's early days yet though so Im not writing it off just yet.

As for the DB you're looking at it is a probably a good pipe.The chamber dimensions would make it especially good for flakes, plugs etc but of course you could smoke whatever form you like in it. I personally think the chamber is a little narrow and you'd be better off looking at a 20mm or so diameter with approx 35 or larger chamber depth. Have a look on ebay and type in savinelli or stanwell, Peterson or design berlin. There are a lot to choose from in that price range.
Checkout this video of a guy smoking a falcon with Meerchaum bowls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQFvwrKeTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_TJNh_MfHo
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition