Welcome to "Up Spirits"!

It's tea time ladies, grab yer mugs! Drink it fast or sip it slow. About glasses, how ta crook yer pinkie, nosing and tasting techniques and equipment. May your cup - and your women - be bottomless!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Welcome to "Up Spirits"!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Up Spirits!

Up Spirits is a section devoted to the nuts and the bolts who love them! You know who you are. Actually this section is devoted to glasses, nosing and tasting techniques, and perhaps a general discussion of basic reference rums.

Now as a Compleat Idiot I can assure you I've been through the struggle of trying to understand the wild and wacky world of rum. Unfortunately this world is largely populated by professional tasters who speak in a dense and remote verbosity understood mainly by other professional tasters. Or by rhum snobs that like to pretend they understand and have copped the jargon.

It's a private club.

Just like these rhum snobs may, at the conclusion of a long and dense review, lay a hot tip on you, like "it's a great classic rum (or rhum)" but will never, ever tell you compared to what? To what indeed! Nor will they really teach you the nuts and bolts of glasses, tasting and/or appreciating those "great classic rums".

It's a private club.

Like me, you need to know and in terms even a compleat idiot can comprehend. No better resource than another, eh? Now I assume that someday that some of you who possess even modest cajones will finally take time from reading and register, and we can then have some dandy interchanges.

Until then let me point you toward the main Rum Project Site. Be sure to check out these three chapters:

1. A Case for Rum Reference Standards
2. Tasting and Glasses
3. Rum Tasting for the Compleat Idiot

To the Nuts! And Bolts! May they meet and remain tight!