The NSA Is Recording Every Cell Phone Call in the Bahamas

Bet you never thought you'd see this one on a respectable forum. But this forum is hardly respectable, and neither is rum! This section is for the forbidden: rum and religion, politics and sex. Here's to Frank Zappa and Catholic Girls!
jankdc
Cap'n

The NSA Is Recording Every Cell Phone Call in the Bahamas

Post by jankdc »

I thought that this was interesting:

Data Pirates of the Caribbean: The NSA Is Recording Every Cell Phone Call in the Bahamas
The National Security Agency is secretly intercepting, recording, and archiving the audio of virtually every cell phone conversation on the island nation of the Bahamas.

According to documents provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, the surveillance is part of a top-secret system – code-named SOMALGET – that was implemented without the knowledge or consent of the Bahamian government. Instead, the agency appears to have used access legally obtained in cooperation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to open a backdoor to the country’s cellular telephone network, enabling it to covertly record and store the “full-take audio” of every mobile call made to, from and within the Bahamas – and to replay those calls for up to a month.
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Funny thing is I have not heard a lot of stink kicked up over this. Surely it's at least a diplomatic incident!
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It has been in the news....

...but apparently for Americans, meh! It was very upsetting to Bahamians however, just as it was for Merkel in Germany. Glen Greenwald at the Intercept has covered this issue some time ago, but the corporate American media seems not to care much beyond this week's "Real Wives of Birmingham, Alabama", lol...
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Holy hell, my phone doesn't even work in the Bahamas - and I don't miss it when I'm there!

... and if you've ever heard the local patois, they can probably parse about 5 conversations / month!