Top 10 American Craft Rum Brands

Including details of our Weekly Rum E-Tastings. Join our happy group in tasting rums from home or even from your sailboat. Also important Events in south Florida and Awards from just about anywhere. Speaking of where, Wear Wearever wherever you go!
bearmark
Beermeister

Top 10 American Craft Rum Brands

Post by bearmark »

The Spirits Business just released a list of the Top 10 American Craft Rum Brands. Some of these I haven't heard of, but I do have a bottle of Balcones Texas Rum (that I haven't yet opened) and I've heard of Richard Seales' The Real McCoy here on the project. I've been interested in trying Dancing Pines Cask Rum, but I've never seen it (their Chai Liqueur is fantastic). Anyone ever had anything on this list?
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It is not surprising...

...that this list (worth visiting) was made by a Spirits Business Magazine, but it WAS surprising to see the snub of the truly magnificent products of Charbay and Phil Prichard. Those who visit the link should take note of how the "rums" are both made and described, with mentions of some "small barrel" aging, and - I'm serious - making rum with raw sugar (yes, sugar) and one that includes honey in the ferment.

Is this last legal? Nope, but the regulators apparently don't care. Nor is there any mention of just how these "Top Ten" were selected. And since when is Seale's an "American Craft Brand"? I'm not even sure it's bottled here. Cute puffery at best, give the writer a sucker...
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I meant to mention the inclusion of honey in one of the selections. Balcones makes Rumble, a spirit of Texas wildflower honey, turbinado sugar and mission fig, but they call it a spirit and don't label it as rum. I was also surprised that they didn't mention Sammy's Beach Bar Rum (isn't this made in Hawaii?).
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good tongue...and yes, Hawaii

Bear, you nailed that one - Sammy's was a great surprise to me, but perhaps not. His tequila was a corker, and Sammy is more than just a name; he puts the same kind of thought, dedication and skill as he does with his other love...

Of music. You are so right. His "Beach Bar" rum is a real winner, honestly a must buy I'd say.