Rum Review: Whaler's Original Dark Rum

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Whaler's Original Dark Rum (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
50%
No votes
50%

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Whaler's Original Dark Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Whaler's Original Dark Rum: Coffee Rum Wannabe

I'm going to try a telling a story about this rum, but to be fair there isn't much of a story to tell. After tasting 120 rums it gets to the point that when I visit even a well-stocked spirits store, I often have a better selection than they do.

Occasionally an attendent will suggest a rum to which I reply "I have it." After the third suggestion, they get the picture - it's this moment that I typically try to do a bit of impromptu education, pointing out the better rums and why I like them - an effort that is usually appreciated.

Thus we've gotten to the point where there's not much left to taste. Whaler's Dark Rum was one of those - and at just $9 not much to lose. Or was there? The reviews:

Sue Sea:
As most of you know I'm a big fan of presentation. Don't get me wrong, often a simple, classic bottle and label do just fine in this regard. Whaler's clear label reveals the dark rum filled bottle so that only the white lettering "Whaler's Original Dark Rum" stands out. Trust me, it is quite unremarkable and almost cheesy.

Whaler's Dark Rum's first aroma is of artificial vanilla over a coffee/molasses background, for a mildly interesting sensation. This rum then simply disappears with a very weak and hollow taste that reminds me of a Werther's caramel coffee cream candy. How's that for alliteration. This fleeting taste is supplanted by what is the only outstanding part of this rum, the finish - a medium long white pepper.

In sum I found Whaler's Dark Rum to be a hollow, weak experience. I feel there are much better choices including Goslings Black Seal Bermuda Dark Rum, Myers's Dark Rum and Cruzan Blackstrap Navy Rum. All the latter have considerable character. Sadly the Whaler's does not.
Me:

Sue Sea is one to criticize by faint praise. I am one to simply criticize - after all that is the primary task of the critic. There are great advantages to being independent as it allows us to be honest. Regarding Whaler's Original Dark Rum we actually had a debate over this point.

While Sue Sea argued that there might be some who liked this rum, and that this was simply a matter of taste; I replied that reader are interested in what we honestly think, and that I'd hate to think that some poor soul bought a rum based on an unclear review.

I'll be clear. Whaler's gives the appearance of a mass produced, low priced rum and it tastes like one. The rum is very dark and artificially so. Legs are sparse and fast. I have no doubt there is a ton of added caramel that accounts for it's almost black appearance. Regarding aroma, I concur completely with Sue Sea.

Whaler's Original Dark Rum's taste is an extremely faded representation of the aroma, leading to a remarkably robust and dramatic white pepper finish. Nice kick. Whaler's is what tasters call a "hollow" rum. Decent aroma and finish with nothing much in between.

There is an element of coffee but this is not a coffee rum like Brinley's, Santero or Bustelo - all far, far superior. There is an element of molasses but not at all like Cruzan's wonderful Blackstrap. It lacks the spiciness of Goslings, and the complex dunder and heat of a real pot stilled Jamaican dark rum - Myers's.

In sum, Whaler's Original Dark Rum is nondescript and really quite uninteresting - a "B" movie. I'd never buy another.

Rating (10 is best) a kind 6 or an unkind 5.