Review: Eastern Company - Moassel Saloum

You think cigars are old? Pipes? Try the art of Narghile. Although today's youth think a "hookah" is simply a means to smoke highly flavored tobacco with names like Blueberry Bubblegum, the real art of the Narghile is anything but. Narghile is an ancient practice, traditional, spiritual, ubiquitous worldwide and until recently free of the marketing monkeys. Thanks to Hass for the amazing contributions herein.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Eastern Company - Moassel Saloum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Found at Tobaccoreviews.com...

Pipe smokers have a rare and valuable resource for researching tobacco at:
http://tobaccoreviews.com

The number of tobaccos reviewed is astounding, as is the search capability that allows tremendously detailed searches by almost any criterion you can think of, and a few more. The site is devoted 99.9% to pipe tobaccos, but I was surprised to find a narghile tobacco reviewed there.

This review won't be surprising to Hass, but what I found interesting was the reviewers personal reaction to his narghile experience.

"I smoked this classic Middle Eastern tobacco after a hearty meal that included a large flakey turnover stuffed full of seafood, a slice of almond-flavoured pound cake, and thick Turkish-style coffee that you could stand up your spoon in. Feeling wonderfully sated, I ordered a water pipe to be brought to my table, and proceeded to have an unusual and extremely agreeable experience.

A water pipe, hookah or narghilé is essentially a bottle with two tubes shooting out from it. One is connected to a large clay bowl that holds the tobacco, the other to a hose, through which you suck the smoke. As you take a drag, the smoke is forced through the water that fills the bottle, and is thus cooled and filtered.

The attendant in charge of the pipes brings one to you ready-loaded, lights it by placing a number of small briquettes DIRECTLY ON THE TOBACCO, and thereafter tends it for you. All you do is enjoy!

The charcoal briquettes?must be charcoal made from wood, otherwise the carbon monoxide would kill you!?are red-hot embers placed directly on the tobacco and left there as you smoke. The charcoal is usually made from orange wood or casuarina, and has an exquisite smell in and of itself.

If you rested lit charcoal on the kind of pipe tobacco that we pipe smokers normally smoke, it would be consumed in short order. Accordingly, water-pipe SHISHA [tobacco] is especially emulsified so that even with the coals on it, it burns slowly. The preferred emulsifier is MOLASSES, which is what MOASSEL means. In the box, this tobacco has the look and consistency of red Sauerkraut, being long, thick ribbons absolutely DRENCHED in pure sorghum molasses.

After the pipe attendant places the briquettes on the clay bowl brimming with shisha, all you do is puff on the hose. As with meerschaums, the smoke is so cool and dry it is a little disconcerting. You do not feel the taste on your tongue so much as up your nose, and on your lips, as you lick them. It is a mild, smooth, sweet taste. The pipe itself lets off a delicious perfume of burning wood, and the unmistakable smell of sorghum molasses. Very appetising. My companion made positive doe eyes at me.

You can pleasantly puff on this as you would on any pipe. But the (local people) have another way of doing it. They drag in deeply, filling their lungs to the utmost. This produces a serious amount of smoke, but no noticeable sensation in the lungs: the tobacco is water-filtered. Where you feel the taste is in the centre of your head, at the end of your nostrils: a fruity, charcoaly taste that I found deliciously exhilarating.

I puffed slowly and relaxedly, careful not to hyperventilate, and did not have even a hint of light-headedness. What I did experience, though, was Major Relaxation. I loved it.

Whilst Iranians usually smoke their own varieties of exclusively Oriental tobacco?not Nicotiana?in their hookahs, Turks and Egyptians blend their own Nicotiana orientals with home grown Virginia leaf. The Eastern Co. is the official tobacco monopoly of Egypt, founded in 1920 and 80% owned by the government. It not only produces a large selection of flavoured SHISHA (I have had an Apple-flavoured one that was quite light and syrupy) but also cigarettes, cigars, toscani, NEPHA (snuff) and a variety of well-known Western pipe mixtures under exclusive license. Once, in Italy, I smoked Egyptian THREE NUNS (probably contraband) and it was very good.

MOESSEL SALOUM (also transliterated Mu'essel Salloum) is considered "natural", non-flavoured. The molasses, like humidity in a Western tobacco, is an emulsifier, and not, according to the cognoscenti, a flavouring agent."

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/176 ... sel-saloum
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Have you tried it yet?

A few counterpoints to that review.

1. Mu'assal or however one chooses to transliterate مُعَسّل does NOT mean molasses. It literally means "honeyed," from 'asal/عسل - "honey." On the boxes of tobacco from Nakhla, Salloum, and whoever else, the ingredients list in Arabic lists honey and glycerine as the wetting agents, and that's it. Molasses in Arabic is an entirely different word and my guess is that its vague phonetic similarity to the word "mu'assal" is the only reason behind the confusion.

2. The charcoal doesn't have to be made from wood, as you know, but that's not too important.

3. Salloum is NOT a particularly wet tobacco. It is not red (the unflavored stuff, anyway), but nearly black, and compared to other nargile tobacco, fairly dry. It is quite sticky, though (almost identical in consistency to Zaghloul).

4. Most "native babbus" (wow I find that offensive, and I'm not easily offended) do not deeply inhale unflavored/coals-straight-on tobacco. Your lungs and throat will get TORCHED if you try.

I suspect this reviewer has his memories mixed up. The flavored stuff tends to be fairly to extremely wet, and it is inhaled deeply. The unflavored stuff is nearly dry and smoked like a cigar.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hass, this unknowing insult was immediately and properly been removed. I apologize for my ignorance, and feel terrible that this insulting term escaped me. Accordingly, the term was removed. I'm sure you know I hold you - and every other regular poster here - in high esteem.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, above.