Marty Pulver's Prior Briar

The Rum Project is non-commercial and proudly so. Still occasions arise when a commercial plug is in order. But unlike the other rum bozos, my plugs will be (a) few and (b) deserved and (c) made crystal clear. Live with it.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Marty Pulver's Prior Briar

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Completely unsolicited, and completely deserved...

Those of you who seek a good estate pipe may have discovered that eBay and Amazon have managed to eliminate real competition, and are designed to insure uncompetitively high prices and profit. For example, it is amazing how many Amazon vendors are selling the same products, often for the same price to the penny. As for eBay, there is now plenty of proof that there are bidding services designed to drive up prices such that the bargains of old no longer exist.

Don't get me wrong - a few legitimate bargains that are priced fairly still exist.

As for real and true Estate pipes...

...you'll do far better to seek out a small number of independent gentlemen who know pipes, who manage to find good ones, who do a lovely job of restoral/refurbishing, who will sell them at a fair price - and - who are real and accessible.

Marty Pulver of Pulver's Prior Briars in San Francisco is one of them. I first left a phone messege and email for him as I wanted his opinion on the Fiamatta I'd seen on eBay, and wanted his opinion on its value. Not only did he call me back, he spent more than a little time trying to help me. Based on his help, I bid on that pipe and won it for a good price. My first restoral went well, and I am now blessed with a lovely flame-grained Savinelli top brand made of their very best briar no doubt worth around $175 to $200 new.

So later when I became interested in a system type pipe, I started to track some Peterson's on eBay but soon realized they tended to sell for far too much (just like Falcons). At that point I decided to check in at Marty's site and discovered a really good looking Savinelli Dry System for - are you ready? - just $35, one of his specials.

Withouth hesitation I called and wrote, reserved and paid for the pipe, which he packed and sent with two free packages of Savinelli filters. Lovely pipe. Just received it and to my great surprise, it was much more attractive than its pics, was packed in a nice cloth bag, and was accompanied by a nice handwritten note from Marty himself.

I need not tell you that service and attention like this is rare, and a $120 Savinelli for $35? This is pipe manna from a guy I simply have to recommend. Don't get me wrong - his pipes sell for a wide range of pricing, but if my purchase is any example, it will be a fair one and you will get exactly what was described.

Ergo a free plug:
http://www.pulversbriar.com/

The pipe:

. . . . . . .Image

Marty, thank you!