Introduction

Yes, the obligatory introductions section, but serves a good purpose - like a good, soft toilet paper - used only once but truly wonderful! "Here's to you and here's to me, may we never disagree - if perchance we ever do, here's to me and to hell with you!"
Jack
Oscar

Introduction

Post by Jack »

Hello. Maybe nine years ago I came to a crossroads, and decided I had enough of bad cocktails, whether improperly made, or bad ingredients. I wanted to learn what the real stuff was like, what a good cocktail tastes like. So I started buying a bad book, and then another, while looking online for recipes. Then I found out it would not be easy, and really studied, searching not for what most people think is a good drink, but original or authentic cocktail recipes. I started learning about spirits and liqueurs, the difference between sour mix and freshly squeezed citrus and homemade simple syrup, and to my surprise - how interested I found rum, and how many categories there are.

My wife told me I ruined her, even raising her voice to a yell when she could no longer drink anything at a bar, or restaurant, because my cocktails were so much better. It took several years for me to feel confidant enough to write about what I learned, and started a blog. Then I took my hobby even further...I wanted to work in the field, and got a job at my favorite liquor store (the best selection of rum in my hometown, where the staff actually knows a thing or two about what they sell). I used to have a far better paying "desk job" that I resented, and found I liked my ridiculously low-paying job. After all, I can talk about liquor and cocktails all day long and sample new products.

I know I will learn as long as I am interested. There is a huge world of what I do not know, and feel just as excited to find out more. I attended this year's Miami Rum Festival, which by the way was like my birthday and the World Cup all in one - one of the greatest experiences, and highly recommend for those who have a passion for rum. I learned a few years ago I particularly am fond of Tiki drinks, and strive even more in that direction. It's all so much fun.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Welcome Jack, we look forward to your participation. Peace out!