Rum Review: Angostura 1919 Rum

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Angostura 1919 Rum (5 is best)?

No votes
40%
40%
20%
No votes

Total votes: 5

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Angostura 1919 Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Angostura 1919 Rum: "Bananas Foster"

We are excited to finally write this review, as 1919 was the rum that led to the realization that reviews for the rest of us need to be accessible, accurate and meaningful. Some of you may remember when moi - the Compleat Idiot - made a breakthrough in learning to taste.

Sue Sea (who is a superb taster) and I were early on in our learning experience and to be fair were struggling with our drams of 1919. I'd pulled out a couple reviews - from El Machete and RnD - cautiously and later in the process (to avoid being overly influenced). There was a distinct, but elusive aroma that we just couldn't place. The reviews both mentioned banana among many other descriptors. After a few more minutes of head shaking and repeated nosing it came to me of all people...

Bananas Foster!

Not just bananas or any of the other descriptors in the reviews, but unequivocally Bananas Foster. Sue Sea and her niece and boyfriend, also present, heartily agreed. The boyfriend was so impressed with this nomenclature that he called a couple weeks later to ask me the name of "that Bananas Foster rum". The point:

Long lists of descriptors, like recipe ingredients - though meaningful to professional cooks or tasters - really don't describe the end product. "Bananas Foster" does. It is meaningful, accessible, memorable and effective. Terms like this is was tasting - and reporting it - is all about. To the reviews:

Sue Sea:
This was one of the early rums that Jimbo bought, long before we had to buy a glass display case at Ikea. I always loved 1919's wonderful, shapely and elegant bottle which really sets the tone for this rum. Yes, I'm going to give it a good rating! My defining aroma was of banana, brown sugar - pan browned in butter, also a nice light vanilla, like a vanilla/brown sugar cookie. The taste is entirely consistent with this wonderful and lingering aroma, and light bodied. The finish is very smooth and peppery warm. Ahh! A truly awesome finish.

Jimbo's revelation of "Banana's Foster" is right on the spot. The aroma is truly of this classic dessert - delivered to your table ala mode with real vanilla ice cream. Elegant and lovely!
Me:

As mentioned this was a breakthrough rum for me in terms of both tasting and reporting. I learned that descriptors from your own life experience are the best, and quite meaningful to others. "Bananas Foster", Angostura 1919, has a wonderful and memorable aroma. About as close to overdone as you can get without actually going over the top. Yes, it's "Bananas Foster" with sweet vanilla overtones. The taste is light bodied, nice and smooth, quite consistent (as we like). A great warm and peppery finish, also much to our liking.

1919 is light, sophisticated, a great sipper and dessert rum of course. Great for guests but also for experienced sippers. Many of the other rums in this category are overdone or somewhat simplistic. Angostura 1919 is not.

Rating (10 is best): 8.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Gotta say the 1919 is a bit too strong in banana & vanilla for my liking, and a tad sweetish also. I much prefer the more "difficult" 1824, with all of its tons of layered flavours.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Angostura 1919 was one of the two or three rums recommended to me way, way back in the beginning. But now - about a hundred rums later - I too find this rum a bit over the top.

I'd love to try the 1824 sometime, but so far it has exceeded the Compleat Idiot's meager budget. And if I ever spend this much it'll be for a pure rum...
BillConnelly
Landlubber

Post by BillConnelly »

Hey Capn Jimbo,
What is your understanding of the 1824? I've been trying to get my booze guy to get some in for me. What style is it? and what are your general thoughts?
My Blog about booze http://billsbooze.com
Capn Jimbo

Rums as mortgages...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Rums as mortgages...

Bill, in answer to your question 1824 was much, much more expensive. It used to cost about $130 as I recall, but lately I've seen it closer to $60. This reminds me of other "super premiums" like Tommy Bahama which opened closer to $40, but was finally sold at $20 when the market didn't bite.

While 1919 is alleged to be 8 years old, 1824 is promoted as a 12 year. Reviewers I respect have called the 1824 a more complex, smokier version. Some actually prefer the 1919. As for us, and especially because we have gotten further and further away from the Twiggie class of rums I'm quite sure our bottle of 1919 will be around for quite some time.

I save it for guests who really don't like rum.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Ang 1824 difficult? OK, difficult to find perhaps. But certainly not difficult to drink. Now I've had my bottle of 1824 for about six months before I found the 1919 to try in a restaurant, so I still haven't been able to taste them head to head. But I think you would find the same underlying banana note, just not with the cinnamon and sweetness of the bananas foster. And there's a whole lot of other tropical notes going on. At the current price range ($50 in upstate NY), its definitely worth picking up.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Angostura 1824 seems to be generally thought of being a bit difficult, and less successful as a commercial rum than the sweet & essence-like undertones containing 1919 - which I really do not like very much. I guess the 1824 is more like a real rum (from the cask) than 1919, and the masses do not like that.

I have got to wonder about the flavours in both of Angostura's rums, and the methodology used. I recently missed an opportunity to chat about this with John Georges here, as I was away on isle of Islay with a group of tourists just as he popped over. Too bad, hope someone else will ask him somewhere what sort of blending, cask management and methodology produces these flavours in a rum simply aged in ex-bourbon casks. Me, I haven't got a clue on how to do this without some added flavourings.
Guevara88
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by Guevara88 »

Am I the only one who had problems with Angostura 1919's finish? After an intense albeit sweet experience in nose and on tongue the finish baffled me a little bit. I suddenly tasted salty peanuts, perhaps walnut.
After the fruity banana beginning this seemed out of place and ruined the balance for my tasting. Hence I voted "only" 3 stars. Did anyone else have this experience?
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Sadly rums from the house of Angostura seem to slip even further and further from real rums...they are quite the essence-bombs these days. At the same time their representative Mr. Georges maintains that they do not spice rums, ever.

:-(
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The bottle of 1919 I had I thought was a mere mixer I wouldn't of thought of it as a quality rum.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To be fair...

As mentioned somewhere above, 1919 was one of the first rums we purchased, long before we had any idea that rums were so heavily adulterated. It failes the "Would you buy it again?" test. In fact, it fails "Would you ever walk near a bottle of it?" test, lol...