Lemon Hart

Now's here's the real stuff - traditional, cleans your socks on the way down. Unlike the Royal Navy, the pirates drank while eating, sailing and fighting - the first multitaskers. Here's to Port Royal, the Port of Orgies! Say it loud and say it plowed!
Jack
Oscar

Lemon Hart

Post by Jack »

I just heard from a liquor rep. (I work in a liquor store) that Lemon Hart will stop production, as it is getting bought by another company, and stopping production. I did not hear who, or for how long, just that America would not see a bottle for a while. Edward Hamilton is on the case, if I understand correctly. Has anyone heard differently, or heard any new news? I only see this rep. every 3 weeks, so news will come slowly, that is if his news is accurate.
Jack
Oscar

Apologies

Post by Jack »

I read after I wrote - and did not know The Capn's history with the aforementioned party (I did not see the controversy at the ministry either). So Capn Jimbo - if you prefer this struck from the posting board, it's understandable.

Capn's Log: no worries, post as you will. More than one of us here have had the great privelege of being "liberated" from that commercial site - it's actually a badge of honor as the commonality among the "liberated" is telling the truth about adulteration and promoting the notion of pure rum.

That simply wasn't allowed there. Oddly enough, the posts that led to this lovely fate all turned out to be true. When the ALKO and Swedish databases proved us right, the new spin? "Oh, that's old news, and nobody cares...".

The Rum Project remains open, transparent and free from commercial influence. As for moi, I simply erased my posts, resigned and demanded that my registration be deleted. The humourous response? Read on...

http://www.rumproject.com/addenda1.html

http://www.rumproject.com/addenda2.html
Kevin
Swabbie

Post by Kevin »

I'm still hoarding a few original bottles of Lemon Hart 151, a much different rum than the one Ed Hamilton promotes. Havent heard anything about the new version being discontinued. Some bartender friends of mine say good things about Plantation overproof for tiki drinks.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Kevin wrote:I'm still hoarding a few original bottles of Lemon Hart 151, a much different rum than the one Ed Hamilton promotes. Havent heard anything about the new version being discontinued. Some bartender friends of mine say good things about Plantation overproof for tiki drinks.
Do you really find it that much different? In what way? I did a side by side and they seem preeetty close.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When in doubt, listen to the market...

The consensus I remember was that the old Lemon Hart 151 - considered a MUST have by the Tiki crowd - was a bit richer, a bit more complex and smokier than the new. Close yes, but if given the choice the Tikimeisters would pick the old LH15 every time.

When the old Lemon Hart 151 was d/c'd, the world of Tiki went quite mad, as they simply could not imagine ever, ever, EVER not having this Tiki-essential rum on hand. Thus, there was great relief when Mosaiq decided to make what they called a slightly different version of it. How different? Read on. Mosaiq - in their great wisdom - also chose Hamilton to distribute it.

Good moves? Close enough?

In the end the market decides...

Let me put it this way. If the new LH151 was that close to the old - and keeping in mind that the considerable world of Tiki lovers were mad for it, then surely the new version would enjoy great sales. An established name, an ostensibly very similar rum, and a wide and enthusiastic customer base.

Sorry, but Mosaiq has d/c'd production until "maybe" 2015. Or maybe not. I'd say the market has spoken... personally I'd hold on to those old bottles.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Well shit, I just have half a bottle of the old stuff left...
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I bought a case of the Mosaiq, of which probably 10 are left.

I never had the chance to try the old one. The Mosaiq is certainly a beast that adds some character, but any more than a little float on the top of our hurricanes, 1oz max, and it turns from a nice effect into a nasty edge, and often a more painful head the next day. We used to make a Cat 4 Hurricane with one of the 4ozs of Coruba replaced with LH, and a Cat 5 with 2 of 4 replaced. The 4 was enjoyable, the 5 started to take the taste of the drink downhill, and in retrospect, the best result probably would have been keep the 4 of Coruba, and float a half oz of LH on top.

(surreptitious plug for Auntie Lillikoi's passion fruit syrup. Do this)

I haven't ever really A/B'd it vs any other overproofs, but I have recently been thrilled to find out that in Europe there is a Pusser's 151.

I'm having a hard time imagining how I won't prefer the Pusser's for just about everything, given it's the same recipe as lower ABV Pusser's, just concentrated. This might make a Cat 5 tastier.

Of course, were I to stumble across old LH, I'd make sure it came home with me for an A/B.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

For those who may be interested, the Preacher is having another go at the 151 with his own Hamilton 151 Demerara overproof.

I'll try a bottle, but finding it will probably be frustrating.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

The Black Tot wrote:For those who may be interested, the Preacher is having another go at the 151 with his own Hamilton 151 Demerara overproof.

I'll try a bottle, but finding it will probably be frustrating.
Oh fuck. El Dorado has a 151, I can't imagine the Eddie H 151 is much different.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Who knows, Hassouni? But we must be able to mention and discuss the release of an upcoming rum on this forum, that may, whatever the associations, be of use to our group.

It reads like his second stab at LH. Could mean a lot to cocktail lovers if he gets closer to the mark. ED151 didn't seem to get adopted by the tiki crowd. I'm not saying they're right, I haven't shot it out - never found an original LH. But any shot at an accurate replacement would be helpful to a lot of people.

I am ever hopeful that someone confirms that SOMEBODY hits that mark. If it has to be the Preacher, then congratulations to him, whatever else he has done.
rum-monkey
Greaser

Re: Lemon Hart

Post by rum-monkey »

So it seems Lemon Hart 151 is back. I've spotted it recently at a local TW. Did anyone else see it and try it? Can you comment on how it compares to the original?