This might be the "gateway" for me into coffee

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
Uisge
Cap'n

This might be the "gateway" for me into coffee

Post by Uisge »

And one would think that having worked as a busser at 2 espresso places after high school that I would have picked up at least a passing interest in a morning cup o' Joe, but it has not yet come to be.

Back to the point I hinted at in the title of this thread. Via Food & Dining section of today's Denver Post, writer Jordan Gonzalez put together an article about a coffee shop that ages its coffee beans in used bourbon barrels (in addition to having chocolate coated, whiskey-aged coffee beans!).

I think you, Cap'n, will approve of the method and quality of product via the type and size of beans and the barrels used as well, according to the owner Tal Fishman, "Fishman said although the beans are the key, their formula does have two other crucial aspects: high-quality oak barrels (they cost $400 and require a broker to get them) and melding — an old practice where the raw beans are mixed before roasting."

Here's a pic of one of 3 styles of chocolate coated coffee beans they offer, milk-chocolate:

Apparently, quality is not cheap, as a 250 ml bottle of the regular beans goes for $50, but "For Fishman, it's about the full experience: the customized bottles, the labels and the rich, complex flavors. He'd rather make small batches and preserve the quality than run a big business.

"It's the old fashioned way of doing things the right way, not skimming on anything, not cutting corners," Fishman said.

"Some stuff you can't do faster and cheaper."

May I present the light roast product?

Oh, this just sounds too good to NOT try, I think I see a purchase from them in my future :wink:

Also, do check out their labels for the classic line of coffees.

Hell, I might have to buy one of their mugs, too!

What say you?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You got my attention...

...and I KNOW Sleepy will respond to this one. Although we've become competent home roasters of our own coffee, I'm not that aware of the idea of aging the beans, et al. I'm sure Sleepy is, but in any event, I'm intrigued...

...and you know what that means...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Capn Jimbo wrote:You got my attention...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my work here is done :mrgreen:
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Sooo...
...on a site that respects things for their purity and authenticity, we're going to get excited about paying ultra premium prices for flavor-engineered coffee?

Don't take offense, I'm just playing your firendly neighborhood conscience today :wink:
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Tot has a point...

...but there's chocolate, dammit! Got a long shift? Chocolate covered coffee beans'll do ya. Other than that I hate flavoured coffees, it's black and hot for me...
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

The Black Tot wrote:Sooo...
...on a site that respects things for their purity and authenticity, we're going to get excited about paying ultra premium prices for flavor-engineered coffee?

Don't take offense, I'm just playing your firendly neighborhood conscience today :wink:
I haven't got a conscience in regards to coffee other than loving the smell of it, so yes, I'll try something engineered just to see if it trips my tastebuds, and as mentioned, coffee, chocolate AND whiskey...that pretty much says it all right there for me :D
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Haha, OK guys.

It's all go....Whoops!

After I started roasting my own green beans from Sweet Maria's, I have a hard time paying more than $15/lb for ANYTHING caffeinated.

...or maybe it's because after my spirit spending, anything else pricey is out of the question. I'm pretty sure it's one of those...

But I live to be proven wrong, so maybe someday we'll share a cup.