Rum Review: Ron Medellin Extra Anejo 8 Anos

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Medellin Extra Anejo 8 Anos (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Medellin Extra Anejo 8 Anos

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Medellin Extra Anejo 8 Anos: "Rum Pop Rocks"

You know it and I know it! What's that? Why, the tendency to downgrade the lower shelf offerings. C'mon tell me - what's the real difference between say a Tommy Bahama or one of the infamous "Z" rums (Zaphra, Zacapa) and some of the lower shelf alternatives like Ron Medellin or Ron Viejo de Caldas? Answer...

Two Shelves and a marketing department.

Seriously, one of these days I'm gonna take a Barbancourt (or one of the lower shelf offerings named above), rebottle it in a fancy and pretentious sales generating containers, triple the price and watch as the usual sycophantic rhum snobs wet their pants over this great new find.

I'm serious.

Columbia is one of the best kept secrets in producing surprisingly fine rums. From the mislabeled de Caldas rums (made from cane juice, not molasses) to Ron Medellin, these are some real best buys, reasonably authentic and at prices to die for.

Look. I'm no exception and it's still hard for me to grab a $12.95 special and think I'm getting anything even barely better than rotgut for the street. The despised (yet effective) plastic twist tops and the faux red on gold cheepie labels don't help. But I have, I did and let's get to the facking review, OK?

Sue Sea:
The good part about working with Jim in reviewing rums is that I don't have to buy them, I'm told nothing about their shelf position or price and I begin with a blank tasting glass and an open mind. I approach each rum as the probable product of a family who cares, who worked hard to create the rum and put their name on it, and at the least deserve my respect and honesty.

Ron Medellin Extra Anejo comes in yet another of what I'd call a new-age version of an old feel bottle. It is squat with indented sides, nice to hold, and features a typical red-on-gold label featuring a spider on its web. Topside a prominent barrel, marked with a bold "8 anos" appears, and marked "anejamiento natural" (aged naturally).

Ron Medellins primary aroma is a vanillan tinged leather, over a background of orange, spicy clove, a bit of oak and anise, and just a high wisp of a high citrus (think grapefruit). Then it's "strike the match" time!

A spicy warmth greets your palate and then simply explodes toward a ginger, cinnamon and a long, hot white peppery finish and aftertaste. Have you ever tried a "Pop Rocks" candy? If so, then you'll know what I'd like to get across to you. A very interesting, fine finish.

Let me remind you that like all rums, please don't reach any final judgment until the rum is at least down to the shoulder of the bottle. Ron Medellin especially is a rum that benefits greatly from taking the time (and rum) to fully explore and to fully appreciate. It will grow on you.
Me:

Ron Medellin Extra Anejo is a rum to be reckoned with. It's color is a brilliant copper amber with thinner, medium legs, and with the thinnest of green edges beginning to emerge. My first nosing was of leather. Yup, leather, with a high vanilla and a background of orange, spicy clove and just a touch - touch I say - of honey.

The early palate nicely reflected a buttery honey, followed by a rapid growing white pepper heat and lightly astringent leathery finish. Now those who have actually been paying attention may notice that Sue Sea and I are in close accord on this one, right down to our scoring.

For those of you who seek to learn what a real rum tastes like, Ron Medellin Extra Anejo is not a bad start, and remains a keeper. If it is altered, it is done well enough that we can't tell and that's good enough.

A well balanced, consistent and classic rum. If you are lucky enough to find the 8 Anos, buy it.

Score (10 is best): solid 7 (or a bit better)
Rumaway
Landlubber

Post by Rumaway »

Quick question: who told you Viejo de Caldas was produced from cane juice?

This article from a Colombian newspaper https://www.elespectador.com/entretenim ... ulo-460749 writes that they use "miel virgen de la caña del Valle de Cauca," which is cane syrup or light molasses from an earlier stage of the sugar production process. Maybe a confusion in translation?

From what I hear from folks in the industry here, though I can't confirm it, part of the base distillate for Ron Medellín is distilled at Cruzan in St. Croix. Sourcing is very common with "Colombian" rums because it is difficult to get the permissions to distill and importing the rum already distilled can be cheaper than making it.